TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What Bus?
Das Awesome Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:27 pm

I am undecided whether to get a Vanagon, or a T2?

Got tips?

force3g Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Get both! :D

ultralite Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:39 pm

If you want to hang around with cool people, get all types of waves and salutes while going down the road, and like to talk to people at gas stations, get a Bus.

:lol:

Brian Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:43 pm

What are you looking for out of a vehicle? I would trade my truck for a Doka syncro in a second.

seventyfo Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:44 pm

I get all those things jus becuz... 8)

cc79westie Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:55 pm

ultralite wrote: If you want to hang around with cool people, get all types of waves and salutes while going down the road, and like to talk to people at gas stations, get a Bus.

Totally agree! Also expect some requests for permission to take pictures with the smartphones!

ferball Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:30 pm

ultralite wrote: If you want to hang around with cool people, get all types of waves and salutes while going down the road, and like to talk to people at gas stations, get a Bus.

The fraternity of the Bus is half the reason I take the long way home.

Xevin Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:51 pm

^Me too :D although that Syncro is pretty bad ass

Das Awesome Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:48 pm

I really would like both, but this is my first car though. I came up with some pro and cons: Vanagon: Water cooled, HEATER, larger, and more reliable. But, the cons are it is not a icon, or sentimental. The bus: "easy" to maintain (DAD :lol: ) iconic, sentimental ( dad had a '79 Bay.) Cons: smaller, SAFTEY!!!, aircooled ( I love aircooled though, :D ).

But, I just don't know :oops: .

Stuartzickefoose Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Nice pic! Whos that on the front of the left row? Thats a cool rig for sure!

drober23 Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:22 pm

You're posting this in the Bay Window Bus forum. Expect a chorus of bus votes!

Including mine :-)

DJ

jmstu76 Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Das Awesome wrote: I really would like both, but this is my first car though. I came up with some pro and cons: Vanagon: Water cooled, HEATER, larger, and more reliable. But, the cons are it is not a icon, or sentimental. The bus: "easy" to maintain (DAD :lol: ) iconic, sentimental ( dad had a '79 Bay.) Cons: smaller, SAFTEY!!!, aircooled ( I love aircooled though, :D ).

But, I just don't know :oops: .

I would strongly disagree that a vanagon is more reliable than a maintained aircooled bus. I would also like to know how a vanagon is safer.

Heat, yes, buses don't put out lots of heat but you can improvise. Water cooled is not a pro. just sayin.

Simple is beautiful.

Esher127 Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:51 pm

I love my bay. I love my bay a LOT, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

That being said, if I had it to do over again with the knowledge I have now, I would have bought a Vanagon. Bay's have more character and get more looks, but a Vanagon is a more comfortable drive and a better camper. (this is compared to my early bay which has a ridiculous camper layout)

secretsubmariner Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Adding that the heater in a vanagon is a pro opposed to a bay is silly.

Of course a car that has been sitting for years and been infested and filled with mice nests in all the tubes is going to have shit for heat.

If properly restored, maintained, and insulated, I don't see why you wouldn't get semi-decent heat. I mean, these aircooled engines see temperatures that would make my dodge sedan freakin explode. Send some of that heat up to the cabin.

As far as safety goes,
Bay: Brief, but pretty straightforward

Vanagon: The first vid is a crashtest facility, it does show a vanagon in crashes though.
[/b]

Just try not to run head first at 50mph into a brick wall in either vehicle, please.

In my mind, the bay has plenty of room, classic vintage appeal, and they badass cars all around. Don't get me wrong though, I'd roll a vanagon every day if I had one.

Brian Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:59 pm

are you looking for a daily or a camper?

Das Awesome Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Im really looking for a daily driver. Secretsubmariner, that Vanagon was loaded with 1 ton of concrete, and sent into a brick wall at 60mph. Yes, I have seen the video multiple times. :D :lol: But, the bay window crash test was at only 30mph int a wall. So, the videos are in valid.

Brian Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:49 pm

First bus, I would get a 69-71. 72-79 with more knowledge and vans for a real long distance rv.

Manfreds78bay Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:05 am

It really depends on how hands on you are. You can probably still get a vanagon serviced at any VW shop. Finding a air cooled mechanic is very hard.

Most of us work on our own buses.

And if you have to even ask the question, I'd go with the Vanagon. I'd love to have both.

secretsubmariner Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:31 am

secretsubmariner wrote:
Vanagon: The first vid is a crashtest facility, it does show a vanagon in crashes though.

:roll: I wasn't trying to shock you. The first part is obviously a crash test facility testing their..uh...facility. The second part of the video does show how a vanagon does in real world every day crashes.

Read through the faq stickies in the bay forum and the vanagon forum and decide which one you prefer. :evil: