TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Beetle Missing Fuel Pump
davealten Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:40 pm

I recently purchased a 1961 beetle, with what I believe to be a '74 or '75 engine (AJ040564). I purchased the bug in a non running condition, and I don't believe that it has ever run with its current configuration. I worked through several issues already, ie starter, coil and ignition issues, I can now get the engine to start by manually choking the carburetor, however it will not stay running long or idle. The carb is supplied directly from the factory fuel line, with no fuel pump in line at all, I'm pretty certain that a fuel pump is required for this engine but I can not find a mounting location. I have looked at several pictures online and everything that I see suggests that the pump will mount on the block between the alternator mounting bracket and distributor, however there is not a place on my engine to mount one. any suggestions?? Maybe an explanation why there is no mounting location on my engine?

ConcreteAce Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:45 pm

sounds like you have a fuel injected block without the hole for a fuel pump, if so the only option you have is to add an electric fuel pump under the tank.

ConcreteAce Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:47 pm

If the motor was already in the car it probably already has a pump added I would check that first.

davealten Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 pm

I have looked thoroughly, like I said, im sure the car has never ran with this engine in it. It was a project that was started by the previous owner but never completed. What psi and gph would you recommend?

ConcreteAce Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:04 pm

I use the Carter pump if you use a Holley you have more plumbing and you have to install a regulator. The Carter runs at 3.5

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZX92K/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1