TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shipping a bare Beetle body from the west to the east coast
cj2a Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:00 pm

I am looking to have a bare body shipped from California to Maryland. I'd like to get some advice from some folks who may have done this. Do most companies require a crate? Not being in CA hurts in building one. Do you have to get a company to do this? Or will a shipper do this for a fee? Thanks.

caffeinebean Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:38 pm

It doesn't necessarily have to be in a crate, but that would protect it more. You can probably get away with it being strapped to a large pallet. Check out YRC they have an online chat available to answer your questions about shipping.

bigdog1962 Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:48 am

Go to the Forums homepage here on the Samba and scroll down to Discussion Forums then General/Chat. At the top is Auto Transport/Shipping Information with lots of info.

CWAVE Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:52 am

Try http://uship.com

Set up an account, post your shipment, and let people bid on the transport. You pick the lowest bid.

I've successfully used this site a number of times. Found it to be a great resource.

johnnypan Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:58 am

^^^ try those guys ^^^..or any other "hotshot" broker,avoid the LTL (less than truck load) carriers it doesn't need to be in a van..does the seller have a way of loading it? do you have a way of unloading? that's what makes shipping a body dicey it can get damaged , a rolling pan under the body makes life easy..

johnnypan Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:58 pm

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4656107957.html

heres a good candidate

TrulyVintage Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:13 am

cj2a wrote: I am looking to have a bare body shipped from California to Maryland. I'd like to get some advice from some folks who may have done this. Do most companies require a crate? Not being in CA hurts in building one. Do you have to get a company to do this? Or will a shipper do this for a fee? Thanks.

Why are you buying thousands of miles away ?

Check CL within 500 miles of where you live

Buy Local

Jim

Mike Fisher Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:02 am

2 guys can load a bare Beetle body on/off a flatbed or enclosed trailer. Put the load up for $500 on www.uShip.com & see how many bids you get from the Truckers.