TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hesitation issues!! Please Help
scott.carrick Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:52 pm

I own a 1973 vw super beetle with a 65' engine. I was originally running an electrical advanced distributor with a 34 pict carb, which do not go together. I bought, cleaned, and rebuilt a 30 pict 1 carb and finally installed it yesterday. Using a timing light I was able to ensure that the timing was good. However, after taking it out I'm finding that the car has major hesitation problems coming out of first and into second gear. It also hesitates entering third and fourth gear however not as drastic. When entering second gear and attempting to accelerate the car jerks and makes a loud "pop" sound two or three times until it finally grabs and begins to actually speed up. I don't think its a timing issue however I'm not sure what else it could be. Please help, thanks!

rocops Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:10 pm

When I figure out my same exact issue, I'll report back. I'm only about a grand further down the road than you, so don't feel too bad. Is your engine a mystery engine of someone else's design/ desire? I've smoothed out the hole a bit with an SVDA, but I'm wondering if the distributor would not work better with a properly jetted single carb. From a lower RPM, dual carbs seem quite spikey at the vacuum can. Even T-ing off the vacuum from both sides, the suction still is not smooth.

Good luck. keep me posted.

busdaddy Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:48 pm

Who rebuilt that 30 pict 1 and did they ask what engine/car it was going on?
Sounds to me from here like you need to play with the acellerator pump adjustment to start with and then move on to idle jetting. Of course all this assumes you already have the correct float level, fuel pressure and functional manifold preheat.

Slow 1200 Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:54 am

what's the distributor part number?