TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Piston pins stuck!
dtpolk Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Started tearing down an old 1200 today. The pistons move okay on the pins, but the pins (all 4 of them) are stuck hard on the rods!! Even strong whacks on the end of the pins won't move them at all.

What to do?

andy198712 Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Warm them up :)

glutamodo Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:09 pm

It's been a long time since I ran into this, but I used to have a 10mm (or was it 9mm) deep 3/8" drive socket I would stick inside of the pin, put an old crappy extension on it, spray some Liquid Wrench on the area, and then brap it with an air impact hammer (with the tapered tip shaped attachment, not the chisels) and the pins would usually come right out.

stealth67vw Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:08 pm

I use an old input shaft to tap out tight wrist pins.

Howard 111 Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:37 pm

We all had different tactics to remove them, but the 40 horse was such a durable engine. I think I put a bigger carb, and a header on it, and loved that car.

dtpolk Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Got them out! Thanks!!

glutamodo Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:06 am

So what was the winning strategy?

MURZI Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:05 am

You can make a simple pin press using a six inch piece of pipe, a deep wall socket and a couple of nuts and washers. Tighten the threaded rod and the pin is pushed through.

raygreenwood Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:08 pm

MURZI wrote: You can make a simple pin press using a six inch piece of pipe, a deep wall socket and a couple of nuts and washers. Tighten the threaded rod and the pin is pushed through.

Glad someone else mentioned it. Thats what I use on the occasional stuck pin.

Dang.....got a wee bit of scoring on that piston? :wink: Ray

glutamodo Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:09 pm

I've never had the air-hammer trick not work in just a few moments, to even bother with mocking up a press like that, but if you don't have compressed air and an air-hammer gun handy, that looks like the way to go.

dtpolk Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:45 pm

Yea, that's pretty much what I ended up using. Slightly different design, but it worked fine.

raygreenwood Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:13 pm

glutamodo wrote: I've never had the air-hammer trick not work in just a few moments, to even bother with mocking up a press like that, but if you don't have compressed air and an air-hammer gun handy, that looks like the way to go.

I keep a few long grade 10.9 bolts and some old threaded rods laying around just for stuff like this. Makes short work of control arm and idler bushings too. Ray

ekrossi Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:13 am

MURZI wrote: You can make a simple pin press using a six inch piece of pipe, a deep wall socket and a couple of nuts and washers. Tighten the threaded rod and the pin is pushed through.

Exactly what I did to get mine out. Works good and doesn't risk damage to the rods.