TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can't remove case head studs!?
dtpolk Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:57 pm

The case is a 1200 40hp, and I'm trying to pull (unscrew) out the head studs. No go. I've soaked them well in release spray and tried a couple of things including vice grips (a laugh). I don't want to heat them as I don't want to warp the spigots. This seems like it would be a common problem on older engines, but searching Samba didn't pay off.
Any ideas?? Thanks.

gooser Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:07 pm

look on the other side of the case and make sure that they haven't been welded in like they were on mine.

dtpolk Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Case isn't apart yet. Will be in a day or two and I'll check, but this is a stock basic case with no other problems, and I rather doubt it. How do you normally take them out?

Any other ideas?

modok Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:27 pm

heat it up with a propane torch. boiling to 300F is fine just in the one spot at a time. Don't heat up the whole thing. Clean it first or do this outdoors.

stan_tichomirov Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:14 pm

Don't use vise grips, double-nut and back it out using a wrench. I had a case where PO put nuts on the ends of head studs, inside the case lol.

Stan

bent_karma Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:04 pm

can someone show me a diagram of the orientation? i effed up bad today.
it's for a 71 type 3.
and any possible way to get 2 top studs when cylinder and or head is already installed?

dtpolk Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:43 pm

Tried double nutting and still they wouldn't budge. Now, I had another set of them, so I said the heck with it, and took them out with a small pipe wrench. That worked fine. Didn't really even mess them up, but I won't reuse them!

Thanks all!

bugguy076 Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Sometimes brute force is what it takes. A pipe wrench and replace the damaged parts isn't bad. I've taken engines apart with a large hammer when the pistons are hopelessly stuck in the cylinders.