TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Swapping the Westy Vanagon for a Eurovan Winnebago?
dixoncj Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Would welcome any thoughts pro or con or anything I've maybe not considered.

I already have a 91 Westy. Very nice, his name is Jean Claude Damn Van:
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-shed/pro-shop/The-Purpose-Driven-Van.html

But I also have a 21 foot boat that I'd like to not have to always pull with the wife's Highlander (and I'd like to take it with us on short camping trips to Edisto/Hunting Island and places nearby on the coast), two kids, and a need to make occasional long trips (but not towing the 21-foot boat). My Westy is my daily driver.

In short, I like the idea of a 97-03 Eurovan Winnie - particularly with a GW lift solution. I know there are plenty of posts on this topic, but I'd really appreciate some thoughts from Eurovanners - or those who've had both, on what I'm up against in making the switch (parts, service, reliability). I can't really see any other solution for me besides a Eurovan or Vanagon. A SMB - even a regular length Ford van is just too damn big. I'm a reporter, so I actually work out of it pretty regularly and I need something I can change in/out of a wetsuit in when it's freezing.

I can work on my Vanagon, know it pretty durn well and have lots of spare parts. The thought of having to wrench a Eurovan understandably makes me nervous but I know I could handle the basics and I do like the idea (in theory) of OBD and ABS and stability control - and already installed rear factory headrests and shoulder belts. Oh, and the rear shower is pretty bitchen too.

What say y'all?

Rodknock Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:30 pm

I've thought a lot about the very same thing. When I bring it up people say I am crazy. In all the research I've done there are two big drawbacks. One is the ground clearance issue of the EV even if you raise it up with the GW kit. The second is the width of the beds being 43" in the EV (compared to 47" in the Westy). There is no way even two skinny adults can sleep in one bed comfortably in the EV. I would be elbowing my wife in the eye in the middle of the night. That's a deal killer for me. The pop top of the EV is easier to crack, and they are hard to fix and like $4500 for a new one. The EV also has a much larger turn radius, and I get in tight spots sometimes. I've come full circle and now realize the only way to do it is to put a more powerful motor in the Westy. I even thought of putting a Westy interior (bed/kitchen/cabinets) in an Eurovan Weekender. If I come across a decent 5 speed EV Weekender I might try that one day. In the end the work and cost would probably be the same as putting a more powerful engine in the Westy.

dixoncj Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:44 pm

Rodknock wrote: I've thought a lot about the very same thing…..

Good stuff Rodknock. Those are definitely considerations - as is the tranny issue on the EV. I didn't realize the bed was so narrow in the EV. No way the wife and I could do that. Is the poptop bed that narrow too?

I keep lusting after the Bostig Westy of my best friend. I wouldn't need to haul the boat uphills - aside from the boat ramp. I think with upgraded brakes and a Bostig it could at least pull it out of the water. Hmmmm. Maybe I should just find an old Sportsmobile gasser 4x4 for camping and get a used Golf TDI for my daily driver. No solution is perfect.

SyncroChrick Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Some things to consider - coming from someone who does it's own repairs:

the Eurovan is much more expensive to repair and parts harder to find - even harder than Vanagon's.
The transmission issue is not a joke - they all suffer from it at some point and it's an expensive repair. But even without that, everything is more expensive - a/c compressor, spark plug wires, etc, etc.

As the previous member posted, it's also narrower inside - I did not like the layout as much as the Vanagon Westfalia.

that said, the power from the VR6 is awesome and it's really nice to drive - definitively more relaxing than the Vanagon

Ahwahnee Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:42 pm

We looked at the EV Campers when they first came out.

My wife said "No silverware drawer!" and that was that.

Jon_slider Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:55 pm

VW Winnie EuroCamper Promo vid

Features:
Full Width upper bed
cruise control
power windows
air conditioning
front wheel drive
removable center seat
VR6 Engine or TDi
Fuzzy Logic automatic transmission
Antilock Braking System
Automatic Traction control
Deep Cycle House Battery
greywater tank
cold shower
4.7 gallon propane tank
Reading lights
pop top ceiling light
12,000 BTU Furnace!!!
Norcold Refrigerator
Fire Extinguisher
LP gas detector alarm
Carbon Monoxide Alarm

For Sale with Tdi!

Ive seen guggenheim in Big Sur, in a Lifted Winnie with BFG's, worked great. He takes it to Baja too. I will give him a heads up to stop by this thread.

guggenheim wrote: Trail up was very dry and dusty, but beautiful up top; still made it up with 2wd.

We have the run of the place, no one else up here.

And Big Sur Bakery on the way North

kamzcab86 Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:58 pm

The EV's are fine vehicles, but I wouldn't own the camper version. Just prefer the Vanagon after being inside an EVC (too cramped, bland, and cheap for my liking). Plenty of EVC's out on the road, so lots of folks enjoy them.

If you're serious, go spend some time with an EVC so that you can personally compare one to your Vanagon.

cbcnm Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:58 pm

the other issue with the eurovan at least the weekender- is that the top bed does not fold back when the top is popped. you sort of hook it up to the ceiling with a strap- it hangs at an angle . no way to store gear up there when the top is popped.

it also has a narrower space between the front seats. not as easy to get to the back when you want.

i came back to the westy after having the eurovan for a year. quite happy with my subaru conversion.
chris

hans j Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Every single Eurovan camper I have driven, the interior rattles like crazy. And this is coming from someone with a TDI in a syncro westy. Seriously, there have been some I thought were going to start falling apart on my test drive...

ThankYouJerry Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:38 pm

1. Keep your Vanagon. You are already familiar with it. It will remain more comfortable for your family of 4 than a Eurovan.
2. Add a 1.8T and a big brake kit to haul your boat.
3. Add a Propex to change into your wetsuit.
4. Add a Basecamp Aquacube Shower to beat the Eurovan's "kitchen spray nozzle".
5. Add a/c with RedTec if necessary.

guggenheim Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:21 pm

Well... I have had all the mentioned vans: Westy, EVC, SMB, mods, no mods, all of them.

Currently I have a Syncro Westy and EVC. What's my daily? A bicycle :D

Anyhow. Yes, EVC lower bed is narrow and upper bunk head height is lower. Kitchen set up is a pain, I took off the entire cover and unscrewed the hinges on the lower cabinet. You can't open that cabinet if the lower bed is open, wtf. I absolutely hate how the mattresses function; luckily I usually leave the bed open.

Repairs are very expensive compared to a Vanagon; I've sunk major bucks into making sure mine is long road trip worthy. No, I don't do my own major repairs.

But, the stability, power, traction (for 2wd), strong ac (always road trip south), functioning cruise control, interior heater, defrost, dependability, and less mods needed (my opinion). I also use this to pull a poptop trailer, boat, and jet ski's. Lift kit is a must.

The reason I bought the more modern EVC is so my girlfriend would be more comfortable driving, but she wont drive it... another topic.

I love my Syncro Westy. If I was to choose one or the other, I would keep my Syncro. I'm still completing conversion and updates.

Great vehicle, but you MUST do a lot of mods to do it right. I hate when people do engine conversions but not upgrade brakes and suspension to handle the new found power. Upgrading pretty much everything is a PITA. Some do to age, but a lot because of functionality and modern updates: lights, tent, tires, wheels, faucet, etc.

Both will be sold as soon as I can get my hands on a 4wd Sprinter. Yes, I will be going that route next.

Oh yeah, IMO, BEST investment no matter what... portable fridge/freezer. Switch from any vehicle and can bring it into the house, cabin, boat, where ever.

enough ranting.