TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: long life tires Page: 1, 2  Next
bluebus86 Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:24 pm

I have a problem, my car collection has gotten out of hand, and some cars get driven little each year. I sometimes end up with old rotted tires with little tread usage.

I will be looking for some new tires soon, and figure some tires will have a longer lasting rubber formulation than others, I have seen some few year old tires develop sidewall cracks early, even for garage kept cars.

does anyone here have info on which tires have the best life in terms of deterioration do to time rather than usage?

I would like to buy some tires that will last as long as possible time wise, not mileage wise.

Experiencers anyone????

grandpa pete Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:39 pm

Here is something for everyone to think about when they are driving on " OLD " tires

It is illegal to drive a tractor trailer with steering tires older than 5 years

I just bought new 40,000 mile tires for about $50 each because I know I wont be driving that much

*Darren Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:30 pm

grandpa pete wrote: Here is something for everyone to think about when they are driving on " OLD " tires

I just bought new 40,000 mile tires for about $50 each because I know I wont be driving that much

What he said. USHSA/DOT recommends replacing standard passenger tires after 8 years. In some countries its more frequent than that and in some locations (think desert), it might be sooner than the US Government recommendation. There's a reason for that. Differences among brands are likely minimal at best and most tires wear out, not age out. The other thing is most tires that would/could meet your criteria probably aren't produced any longer as manufacturers are constantly innovating and introducing new models (in with the new, out with the old). I'd suggest trying to standardize your tire across your cars and swap those tires among your vehicles - which is likely not possible.

[email protected] Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:09 pm

The man has a point. RV tires are often decades old and not ridiculously cracked. They do keep them covered to ward off UV rays. They must be doing something else. Maybe just running on old cracked tires.

bluebus86 Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:16 pm

*Darren wrote: grandpa pete wrote: Here is something for everyone to think about when they are driving on " OLD " tires

What he said. USHSA/DOT recommends replacing standard passenger tires after 8 years. In some countries its more frequent than that and in some locations (think desert), it might be sooner than the US Government recommendation. There's a reason for that. Differences among brands are likely minimal at best and most tires wear out, not age out. The other thing is most tires that would/could meet your criteria probably aren't produced any longer as manufacturers are constantly innovating and introducing new models (in with the new, out with the old). I'd suggest trying to standardize your tire across your cars and swap those tires among your vehicles - which is likely not possible.

Good info, but 8 years wont work for me, too short a time, and that eight years may take into account that there are tires that don't last as long as others, and to be on the safe side, to cover worse case situations the recommendation is made very conservatively. I have tires that are fine, twice that old on several cars. I have seen some tires fail fairly fast, fail by getting cracking in less than eight years, so I know some brands or models are inferior, others last much longer. So I believe there are some tires to avoid for long useful life. I do not know if it's a more of problem of cheap tires or the more expensive brands??????

Still looking for info on what to buy, and what to avoid for best tire life, not all tires are equal in life.

*Darren Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:21 pm

This topic has been beaten to death elsewhere on this site, but I'll come back to this one last time - its your money, your car & your life - but just because a tire "looks good" doesn't mean it is, just because one set of a specific model tire holds up well, doesn't mean much beyond that particular set, so somebody responds that "oh, I have X for 20 years no problems." you're willing to take their word on a sample size of 1? And of course - good luck finding that tire 20 years later unchanged to the point of not being anything like that 20 year old tire - kind of like making the assumption that the 87 Corolla was a "top pick" so the 2014 must be too. Me, I'd ask a tire shop -they might actually know, but likely tell you the same thing (8 years). Average Joe one set at a time, pretty much opinion. Frankly, I'm facing the same issue - my Denman's are aging out, swallowing hard on the fact that I'll be shelling out about $1000 for a set that in 8 years will only have about 12k on them - but it's a fact of life. Except the market is so limited, used tires? Even a set of Nexens (good tire in my book) in stock VW size only runs about $70+ per tire. That's $350 over 10 years if you stretch the 8 years a bit. Good luck,

bluebus86 Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:57 pm

*Darren wrote: This topic has been beaten to death elsewhere on this site, but I'll come back to this one last time - its your money, your car & your life - but just because a tire "looks good" doesn't mean it is, just because one set of a specific model tire holds up well, doesn't mean much beyond that particular set, so somebody responds that "oh, I have X for 20 years no problems." you're willing to take their word on a sample size of 1? And of course - good luck finding that tire 20 years later unchanged to the point of not being anything like that 20 year old tire - kind of like making the assumption that the 87 Corolla was a "top pick" so the 2014 must be too. Me, I'd ask a tire shop -they might actually know, but likely tell you the same thing (8 years). Average Joe one set at a time, pretty much opinion. Frankly, I'm facing the same issue - my Denman's are aging out, swallowing hard on the fact that I'll be shelling out about $1000 for a set that in 8 years will only have about 12k on them - but it's a fact of life. Except the market is so limited, used tires? Even a set of Nexens (good tire in my book) in stock VW size only runs about $70+ per tire. That's $350 over 10 years if you stretch the 8 years a bit. Good luck,

So Nexaen tires are long lasting, about how long have they lasted for you? how long has the Denman tire lasted for you?

WD-40 Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:20 pm

bluebus86 wrote: Experiencers anyone????

"Lucky day! Better check your tires!!"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=599609

Those tires were fine one day, driving the freeway, etc. Next day, they had come apart just sitting in the garage.

It's just not worth it.

*Darren Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:26 pm

bluebus86 wrote:
So Nexaen tires are long lasting, about how long have they lasted for you? how long has the Denman tire lasted for you?

I can't comment of the longevity of Nexens, I mentioned them as they are generally considered a competitive 2nd tier tire (meaning one step down from top of the line GY's or Mich's & a couple of others) that in stock VW size are reasonably priced. Denman's are irrelevant at this point as A) bias-ply and B) went bankrupt around (2010), but my Denman's are 10 years old and due to being bias-ply might be able to be extended past the suggested 8 years due to construction differences (guess), but I'm replacing them for next driving season. IF you are talking stock (165/15) non-specialty tires you really only have Nexen, Nanking, Federal, Classic, and Vredestein & Firestone (through Coker) running $65-120 per to my knowledge.

Bobnotch Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:57 pm

*Darren wrote: bluebus86 wrote:

I can't comment of the longevity of Nexens, I mentioned them as they are generally considered a competitive 2nd tier tire (meaning one step down from top of the line GY's or Mich's & a couple of others) that in stock VW size are reasonably priced. Denman's are irrelevant at this point as A) bias-ply and B) went bankrupt around (2010), but my Denman's are 10 years old and due to being bias-ply might be able to be extended past the suggested 8 years due to construction differences (guess), but I'm replacing them for next driving season. IF you are talking stock (165/15) non-specialty tires you really only have Nexen, Nanking, Federal, Classic, and Vredestein & Firestone (through Coker) running $65-120 per to my knowledge.

Don't forget Kuhmo tires, only available from Discount tire. :wink:

moab762 Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:19 pm

Does putting the car on blocks and/or deflating the tires and/or keeping the tires/car garaged help?

shortride Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:28 pm

That may be a subject that Jay Leno could contribute to. He has lots of cars.

gt1953 Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:46 pm

Like some of you I have had to purchase new tires cause I just did not want to risk it. Not worth it in the long run.

Brian Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:15 pm

The thought of not driving cars confuses me.

RVs are a good example. Protect them and if you have doubts, replace them.

Tim Donahoe Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Tires are like light bulbs. They make them to fail.

There's a light bulb in a Firehouse in California. It was made by a competitor of G/E (Thomas Edison), and it has been burning brightly since 1901 (true story). So they have always been able to make them last longer. But there's more money is a good bulb that only lasts a few years.

People in the U.S. used to buy a new car every 3 or 4 years. Tires back then were bias-ply (garbage, by today's radial standards). So tires only had to last a short while. Tire manufacturers simply had no economic incentive to produce tire rubber that would last past a decade. It's not expected by most consumers--and tire manufacturers don't develope such a product.

Even today, most people don't have a "classic" car in the garage that is driven only a few thousand miles a year. They have cars that they drive 8 to 10 thousand miles a year. And they wear out their tires by driving their cars.

So, why should any tire maker make a longer-lasting tire? They make more money by providing a good tire that will give you, maybe, 40,000 miles (even the ones that say they will last for twice that mileage).

Tim

pb_foots Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 pm

it's not some big conspiracy Tim, that light bulb is an anomaly. Where are the rest of them if they're made so well? it's a combination of never turning it off and the planets being aligned or something when they made it.

Tire companies do not make tires to fail, there is no 100 MPG carb that GM killed, and there is no cure for cancer that drug companies are suppressing.

Rubber gets old and cracks, that's all. Replace your tires when they get old or risk your neck. Feel good that you have so many cars that you don't have to drive them every day. The guy who's buying recaps for his crap box so he can get to work and support his family does not have this problem.

Aussiebug Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:29 pm

moab762 wrote: Does putting the car on blocks and/or deflating the tires and/or keeping the tires/car garaged help?

Putting a car up on blocks (or just removing the wheels) so they don't get a "set" from one part sitting flattened on the floor will certainly help keep the tyre useable if it's not use much. But never leave them flat - always keep some pressure in them - it helps them stay in shape.

Keeping them out of sunlight when not in use helps a little too - less UV.

The main problem is that tyres are made with substances which slowly evaporate in them, and very slowly over the years they "dry out", get less flexible and start to crack. It's inevitable.

So tyres have a finite "use by" date. All modern tyres have a 4 digit week/year date stamp on the sidewalls, so the best you can do is to buy tyres which have a recent date on them - not tyres alreadya year or more old; and change them at around 8 years or so even if they still have useful tread left. Tyres are the only thing keeping you on the black stuff, so remember your own safety and the safety of the others on the road.

Jon Schmid Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:49 pm

If it's worth anything, I am running Nexens on my 356. They have been very good tires at a reasonable price and they will age out before they wear out. The car is driven frequently. I don't care what brand you run, I agree, there is a definite age limit on tires, after that you're risking pulling the pin on the grenade. I'm running original rims so my tire choices are basically the same as yours. I don't know of any "long life" tires and I wouldn't believe the claims anyway. And don't ever buy used tires. False economy.

shortride Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:16 am

Tim Donahoe wrote: Tires are like light bulbs. They make them to fail.

There's a light bulb in a Firehouse in California. It was made by a competitor of G/E (Thomas Edison), and it has been burning brightly since 1901 (true story). So they have always been able to make them last longer. But there's more money is a good bulb that only lasts a few years.

People in the U.S. used to buy a new car every 3 or 4 years. Tires back then were bias-ply (garbage, by today's radial standards). So tires only had to last a short while. Tire manufacturers simply had no economic incentive to produce tire rubber that would last past a decade. It's not expected by most consumers--and tire manufacturers don't develope such a product.

Even today, most people don't have a "classic" car in the garage that is driven only a few thousand miles a year. They have cars that they drive 8 to 10 thousand miles a year. And they wear out their tires by driving their cars.

So, why should any tire maker make a longer-lasting tire? They make more money by providing a good tire that will give you, maybe, 40,000 miles (even the ones that say they will last for twice that mileage).

Tim

It's called Planned Obsolescence.

andk5591 Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:37 am

Quote: There's a light bulb in a Firehouse in California. It was made by a competitor of G/E (Thomas Edison), and it has been burning brightly since 1901 (true story). So they have always been able to make them last longer. But there's more money is a good bulb that only lasts a few years.

Umm - have you seen the bulb? Brightly it aint.....The filament is massive, which accounts for longevity at the cost of light output.

And as far as things not lasting...when I was young, a car was pretty much shot at 40K miles. I just dumped a bunch of money into a Honda Accord with 200K miles because I feel very confident that it wil go another 100K.

Back to topic at hand - Would suggest contacting somebody like Coker and see what they suggest. I would not ne shocked if they dont have some type of sealer to prolong tire shelf life.