TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Heater blower motor
JDub113 Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:10 am

I thought I read somewhere to not take the motor out of the housing once, but can't seem to find the thread again and it seems like its perfectly ok to mount another motor in there. The one in the bus has a bad bearing or something in it and has lots of slop.

So should I get a "working" used with housing or just a new/nos motor w/ fan? I know I need to check the other heating issues as well, but this one needs to happen too.

SGKent Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:38 pm

I get most of my used parts from Ken at Busco. Chris at Busted Bus has a good selection too. Or you can look in classifieds. They run from $30 to $300 for a new one. The relays go bad too so make sure it is the fan and not the relay.

williamM Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:53 pm

I've stretched out their life span with "trifone"- a great penetrating lub- followed by spray white grease.

Gives you a little time to find a new one.

JDub113 Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:51 pm

It gets power ok, but locks up. Its got to have at least 1/4" play. I just need to know I won't run into any problems just swapping a motor out from my existing housing.

williamM Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:21 pm

If you can get it apart- go for it

JDub113 Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:20 am

Its just a few screws right? pop it out, slip in new one, bolt in.

busdaddy Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:38 am

If what you propose is replacing the motor but retaining the housing then yes, easy job to swap and shouldn't be an issue. What you may have heard is you can't use a blower from a different vehicle as the bus blower housing has anti return flaps and a blower unit from something else would let hot air escape into the engine compartment when the blower wasn't running.

JDub113 Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:05 pm

Sweet. That is what I needed to hear. Thanks