TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shocks for Oldspeed drop spindles
madjon Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for front shocks for a type 3 that is lowered using Oldspeed type 3 drop spindles. Probably has a one spline turn also. I have gone from stock spindles with a 3 spline drop to the drop spindles and some spline tuning too. The ride is different, as in much less cush, more twitchy/ bobbling at speed. Should I need shorter shocks with those spindles to help smooth things out?
Thank you!

Bobnotch Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:31 pm

If you're only down 1 spline now (or even 2 splines), you can still use stock length shocks. Right off hand I don't know where you'd find them (they're similar to the rear of a bug), as you really want an oil shock for the front (gas shocks are a no no).

Erik G Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Stock oil shocks and if any doubt ask Russell

ALLWAGONS Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Hello Madjon,

I saw your squareback by the SP High School. I also live in So Pas and have a '65 sunroof Variant and know others that have type 3's in the area. Nice to see a decent square around.

Martin

NorCalTodd2011 Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:08 pm

Stock oil shocks. I have bought lowered shock for mine and they are to short.
Russell builds the best stuff put there.

luckystiff Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:35 am

can't speak to if they work with those spindles but the best easy answer for shorter shocks is Monroe 5752 barndoor bus shocks(oil filled). about $20ea and your local parts house can get them within a coupla days no problem(if they don't have them on hand aleady)...ken....

NorCalTodd2011 Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:05 pm

The 5752 shocks are too short for the spindles that Russell builds. Stock length oil shocks should work just fine. He down not change the locator of the shock mounts.
If you have lowered the front end further than yes the 5752 will work.

madjon Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks for the input. It sounds like shorter shocks may not be needed, which makes sense. Its just that I am a little surprised that going from a 3 spline drop with regular shocks and regular stock spindles, to the Oldspeed spindles, that therefore do not need such a big of a spline turn to achieve the same kind of drop, with the same shocks, that the ride is so markedly different. It feels less plush than it was. That is counter intuitive.

madjon Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:19 pm

ALLWAGONS wrote: Hello Madjon,

I saw your squareback by the SP High School. I also live in So Pas and have a '65 sunroof Variant and know others that have type 3's in the area. Nice to see a decent square around.

Martin

Thank you. That would be my son who lives there and is driving the Squareback

luckystiff Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:52 pm

madjon wrote: Thanks for the input. It sounds like shorter shocks may not be needed, which makes sense. Its just that I am a little surprised that going from a 3 spline drop with regular shocks and regular stock spindles, to the Oldspeed spindles, that therefore do not need such a big of a spline turn to achieve the same kind of drop, with the same shocks, that the ride is so markedly different. It feels less plush than it was. That is counter intuitive.

that is a bit suprising and should be the opposite of what i would expect. any chance something is binding somewhere?

madjon Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:06 pm

luckystiff wrote: madjon wrote: Thanks for the input. It sounds like shorter shocks may not be needed, which makes sense. Its just that I am a little surprised that going from a 3 spline drop with regular shocks and regular stock spindles, to the Oldspeed spindles, that therefore do not need such a big of a spline turn to achieve the same kind of drop, with the same shocks, that the ride is so markedly different. It feels less plush than it was. That is counter intuitive.

that is a bit suprising and should be the opposite of what i would expect. any chance something is binding somewhere?

Yes. One of the shocks was not moving freely. Once that was sorted it tides great.

rays-64 Thu May 19, 2016 7:16 pm

I'm running the old speed drop spindles along with 2 clicks down. I went with the stock oil shocks (way to soft). Went to the Monroe 5752 shock. Is it normal to have to raise lower control arm about 1 1/2" up with jack to get shock holes to line up to fit the 5752 shock??