TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Smith speedo
Ny67bus Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:00 am

Installing a smith motor speedo having trouble getting the turn signal to work on the speedo direction say to use yellow wire and blue wire any help would be great

easy e Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:00 pm

Did you inquire with the manufacturer?
If so, what'd they say?
If not, probably the first place I'd ask.
e

Ny67bus Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:09 pm

They are not in the usa have to c if I can find a number

easy e Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Here's a USA dealer... kinda looks like they specialize in the motorcycle end of the gauges... might be worth a try though:
http://kullendesign.com/smithgaugewebsite/contact/

Ny67bus Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:32 pm

Called motorcycle only

easy e Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:51 pm

I don't think the electronic Smiths gauges have been widely installed in buses here in the US. Maybe upload & post pics of your wiring instructions/diagram provided by Smiths.

Before we get to the speedo...
Gotta ask first.... has your existing switch been verified 100% functional?
e

BarryL Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:04 pm

On a VW speedometer the turn bulb is a single bulb that green-arrows both directions and that is all. On the Smiths' speedometer how many bulbs are there for direction?

busdaddy Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:16 pm

And do the bulbs ground to the case or is there a separate wire for each end of the bulb?

Ny67bus Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:35 am

everthing is inside the speedo no bulbs sticking out on there direction sheet says
connect the yellow wire to indicator (-)
connect the blue wire to indicator 12vpostive

easy e Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:27 am

Yellow wire to flasher relay?

olliehank47 Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:23 am

Ny67bus wrote: everthing is inside the speedo no bulbs sticking out on there direction sheet says
connect the yellow wire to indicator (-)
connect the blue wire to indicator 12vpostive

On a 67, the light blinks when a ground signal is sent through the 9-pin relay box to the indicator light. In your case, I'd say the yellow wire should connect to the KBl terminal of the 9-pin box, or connect it to the blue/white stripe wire that comes from the box to the old indicator light. The blue wire from your new speedo should connect to the old, black wire that fed the old indicator light.

Ny67bus Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Ok thanks will try it

Ny67bus Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:37 am

turn singlas work great now thanks oilliehank47..so now I went to test drive the bus soon as I back up or go forward the speedo niddle freaks out goes to 80 mph there is a black and white wire on the speedo harness says to hook up to hall-effect/reed switch/proximity senders (I have no clue) on that
smith motor accessories email tech is horrible.....
SO ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

olliehank47 Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:06 am

Ny67bus wrote: turn singlas work great now thanks oilliehank47..so now I went to test drive the bus soon as I back up or go forward the speedo niddle freaks out goes to 80 mph there is a black and white wire on the speedo harness says to hook up to hall-effect/reed switch/proximity senders (I have no clue) on that
smith motor accessories email tech is horrible.....
SO ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

It would help if you had a copy of the directions and a wiring diagram for the speedo to post here. From what you just posted, it sounds like your mechanical speedo cable connects to a hub that has a magnetic sensor installed (hall effect sensor) which varies voltage based on the speed of the turning of the cable. Does that sound correct?

Without knowing anything about your speedo, I suspect it is an electronic speedo that operates similarly to a VW gas sender though with a power circuit rather than a ground circuit. When the cable begins to spin the magnet inside the hub, the voltage maxes out and the speedo maxes out to 80mph, very similar to when you ground the fuel gauge and it maxes out to "full." The hall effect sensor varies the voltage sent to the speedo needle based on the rate of spin of the magnet--slower the spin, the less voltage is sent to the speedo and the needle moves less. Similar to the gas gauge where the ground resistance varies as the float moves up and down with the level of fuel, causing the gas gauge needle to move less than all the way to "full" when the resistance is high.

What does your speedo cable connect to on the new speedo?

Is there any electrical connection around the area of the speedo where the cable connects?

Do you have a parts list?

Is there a connection on the speedo that does not have a wire currently attached?