TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: rear talgate pop out window for bay window camper
jimbocameron Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Does anybody know of a supplier for rear tailgate pop out window. does it exist?
I have a 1972 bay window. suggestions would be apprecated

mattsaintg Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:11 pm

There's a post here showing an install from Wolfgang International.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=411976&highlight=rear+safari+window

https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/search/?query=safari+window

Post some pics of your install if you go through with it.

jimbocameron Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:23 pm

thank you. could be a goer.

pantone149 Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:18 pm

I spoke with someone that had a rear safari window on his bus and was told that it oftentimes allows exhaust stink back into the passenger area. Something to consider. The only way to prevent the stink is to not open the safari or open several other windows to ensure air flow.

babysnakes Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:48 pm

There was an issue with station wagons with rear windows that rolled down back in the 70's, the carbon monoxide from the exhaust would get sucked back in and make people woozy. Now, the safari windows on early single cabs work great because they are far enough forward and do not dance with the exhaust. Yet on a bus you should drive with the window closed to prevent poisoning you or your passengers.

busdaddy Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:42 pm

babysnakes wrote: you should drive with the window closed to prevent poisoning you or your passengers.
Where's the kewl in doing that?, next thing you'll be recommending is avoid lowering the bus, use the correct tires and don't put anything chrome on it :shock:
What a buzz kill you are, live on the edge! :P

One of those windows would be nice for some air while parked or camping but as already mentioned don't drive with it open, it's different on a splitty with front safari's where all the air/bugs/rocks/etc. just goes right through, you can't create that sort of positive pressure in a baywindow. Betcha they leak like a mofo when it rains too :wink:

Brian Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:53 pm

busdaddy wrote: Where's the kewl in doing that?, next thing you'll be recommending is avoid lowering the bus, use the correct tires and don't put anything chrome on it :shock:
What a buzz kill you are, live on the edge! :P

:lol:

shiningstar76 Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:06 pm

Sounds like a bad idea to me. A nominally bad rear hatch seal will cause exhaust to get sucked in. Add China into the equation and you have a modified bus with Chinese quality letting exhaust into the bus. It doesn't take much. My legacy got bumped in the tailgate and it will now draft in exhaust if any of the windows are down. Fortunately in Georgia the windows are up 9 months of the year basking in the glory of an artificial New England inside the car.

jakokombi Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:58 pm

I have a rear safari. It never occurred to me to open it when driving, I suppose that I could open the sunroof at the same time, but then I'd loose all of my bedding.

The really nice thing about them, is that just like the split window ones they leak water. :shock:

babysnakes Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:00 pm

busdaddy wrote:
What a buzz kill you are

Nah... Doooooooode. If you keep the windows closed none of the pot smoke leaks out maaan! Not a buuuuuz kill but an enhancer. :popcorn: (munchies)

vwwestyman Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:22 pm

shiningstar76 wrote: Sounds like a bad idea to me. A nominally bad rear hatch seal will cause exhaust to get sucked in. Add China into the equation and you have a modified bus with Chinese quality letting exhaust into the bus. It doesn't take much. My legacy got bumped in the tailgate and it will now draft in exhaust if any of the windows are down. Fortunately in Georgia the windows are up 9 months of the year basking in the glory of an artificial New England inside the car.

Try opening a second window. My Golf has the exact same problem. 1 window down, exhaust comes in. 2 down, it doesn't. Doesn't even have to be all the way. Just enough to change the pressure some, I guess.

Kirk Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:22 pm

mattsaintg wrote: There's a post here showing an install from Wolfgang International.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=411976&highlight=rear+safari+window

https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/search/?query=safari+window

Post some pics of your install if you go through with it.

Yep that's me. You drive with it open and you'll have a headache. Looks cool tho. Great if camping. Lemme know if you have questions. :D