TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: new to 67 squareback/aircooled.
vwrock Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:10 am

Hello everyone. I bought a 67 squareback 2 weeks ago and I have a couple questions. I need to check/adjust my fuel pressure. How do I remove and change the gaskets on the manual fuel pump on top of the engine? Also I have been reading up on ignition timing procedure. It talks about disconnecting vacuum lines. Since I have electronic ignition do I need to worry about this? I dont see any vacuum lines on my engine. Not to say they shouldnt be there. But I am trying to correct previous owners mistakes. Also do I time it when it is at idle or at 3400 rpms or both. Thank you

KTPhil Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:48 am

Welcome!
Take some pics and pull part numbers off your carbs and distributor.
Answers vary depending on that you have, especially since it is no longer stock.

W1K1 Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:52 am

Quote: How do I remove and change the gaskets on the manual fuel pump on top of the engine?

the gaskets are under the pump itself, you can add or subtract gaskets to get the pressure you need. You can use a cereal box for cutting gaskets a little thicker. I have had to use 2 or 3 thick gaskets to get down to the 2.5-3psi range with some pumps.

sounds like you have a mechanical advance distributor, so you will just need to set the max advance at 3400rpm to 28-30 degrees and let the idle fall where it will.

vwrock Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:26 am

009 bosch distributor and empi epc34. Dual ports

vwfye Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:33 am

2.5-3.0 lbs of pressure is plenty for that set up.