TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: QUESTION - vanagon sliding door latch mechanism
Kylo Rich Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:10 am

I am purchasing a vanagon sliding door latch mechanism (pic below) for my 1982 Vanagon.

Is the mechanism standard for all vanagon Westfalia or are they different? I am purchasing one from a 1987 Westy and want to ensure it will fit properly. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

MarkWard Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:58 am

I don't have my parts numbers available, but I would bet the early and late are different. No one responded so this will bump your post to the top. I can check the numbers next week when I get into work.

Terry Kay Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:14 am

NLA.

Try and locate a good used one.

GreenMachineVW Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:24 am

They are different, and not interchangeable.

Terry Kay Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:14 am

Your right.
same part number except from late 85 it had a D behind the number which the blind man ( me) overlooked.

So no the 87 latch will not work.

Pt # 251-843-654 is exactly what you need.

Kylo Rich Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:41 am

The part # you listed is showing unavailable and no longer in production, so I must find one third party. Do you have one in your shop? If so, how much? Thank you.

Terry Kay wrote: Your right.
same part number except from late 85 it had a D behind the number which the blind man ( me) overlooked.

So no the 87 latch will not work.

Pt # 251-843-654 is exactly what you need.

Kylo Rich Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:41 am

Thank you, sir! You are certain?

GreenMachineVW wrote: They are different, and not interchangeable.

Kylo Rich Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:42 am

Appreciate it, good sir. Have a nice day.

rsxsr wrote: I don't have my parts numbers available, but I would bet the early and late are different. No one responded so this will bump your post to the top. I can check the numbers next week when I get into work.