TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Just got a '91 Vanagon GL - Tips and Tricks
JaredN16 Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:37 pm

So I just picked up a 1991 Vanagon GL yesterday - Stock engine, Automatic transmission. I have never owned a VW van, but I've always wanted one. Anyways, the seller was telling me about some of the maintenance that I have to keep up with, which included the following:

Greasing the throttle cable.
Cleaning the valves on the transmission case.
Always checking the fluids.
Making sure I run it everyday.
Etc.

Can you guys offer any other advice as to what I should watch/listen for, and what else I need to do to keep her running smooth?

I understand this is probably a very general question, but any information will help at this point.

Thanks

Wildthings Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Grease the throttle cable when you put a new one in, which isn't very often. In some parts of the country you might regrease the cable every 5 to 10 years.

I wouldn't touch the valves in the transmission unless there was an obvious problem. Do change the fluid and filter every so often.

Learn what is happening with your fluid levels. Your vehicle isn't new and make well burn or leak various fluids. Excess loss of either engine oil or coolant is the main cause of engine aging and failure.

Never start your engine just to circulate the oil, only start it to use it. Excessive cold idling and driving short distances is hard on an engine.

Buy a Bentley or other shop manual and read the chapter on maintenance several times.

Chance your fuel and brake lines. These items were never engineered to last more than 20 years and their failure will more than ruin your day.

Merian Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:25 pm

he means change them (the rubber hoses for fuel & brakes) so you won't be taking a chance

and check the date codes on the tires - if more than 6 years old, I'd get new ones with the correct LT rating

no need to run it every day or even every week but do keep it on a smart battery charger (float charger) when stopped for a week or more

you want to go thru all the maintenance records and see what has not been done recently
- I put them into Excel to track everything
- I change all fluids unless known good from maint. records - also all the filters, incl. the power steering filter & Auto Trans. filter
- use the correct brand of oil filter

do not succumb to spend $$ to modify my Van syndrome until you have it all up on the long term maintenance; some things are done every 90k miles - GoWesty has an article on what to do when

there are 2 mods to do soon however: [1] relay for the starter; [2] relays for the headlights - get them both from crazyvwvanagon - you need to overcome some design deficiencies by VW

congrats on getting a nice "new" one

Snort Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:29 pm

Spend one hour each day reading everything you can find on thesamba for the rest of your life or until you no longer have any Volkswagens whichever comes first.

SCM Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Snort wrote: Spend one hour each day reading everything you can find on thesamba for the rest of your life or until you no longer have any Volkswagens whichever comes first.

Lunch time and the first half hour after arriving at work seems to work for me :lol:

I wonder if "clean the valves on the transmission case" means to keep the breather hole/valve clean. My auto trans leaked a fair bit of fluid until one day when I spent a bit of time at the carwash hosing off the trans case. No leaks since then (and yes, I do still have ATF in the case).

I'll be one of many to echo the advise to change your fuel lines and the little plastic manifolds (for aluminum ones). Also a good idea is to preemptively replace every bit and piece of your cooling system.

Driving the heck out of it is a good idea too. That way you'll notice problems close to home before they let you down on a longer trip.

Most of all, be patient and have fun!

JaredN16 Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was told that the reason for greasing the throttle cable was to prevent the accelerator from sticking, which actually happened briefly on the first drive. Should I replace the cable rather than just greasing it?

The "clean the valves on the transmission" was referring to that breather hole/valve. I was told that the breather hole got clogged up before, this caused pressure to build in the trans. case and actually blew the cap off and all the fluid leaked out. I was told to clear out the valve with a wire brush occasionally to prevent the clogging.

Also, I am from New England and winter is coming! I was going to wait until the spring to register it, because I want to avoid driving it on the salty roads. This raises a couple questions:

1. As much as I hate to do it, the van will be stored outside for the winter, how do I maintain it in the colder months? Is there a winterization process I should do?

2. Would it be better to have it registered and drive it periodically throughout the winter, trying to avoid salty roads.

Again, sorry for the general/dumb questions,but I'm new to this and I'm hoping this will be a great resource for information.

AtlasShrugged Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:07 pm

How old is the radiator? If it is original or more than a decade or two old..just budget to replace it. That change (with new coolant) alone will save you some serious headaches. Plugged up old radiators kill some nice Vanagons.

Inspect the coolant pipes..they are probably plastic..if so the metal inserts at each end of the two pipes can be (probably are) loose or pushed out..I would suggest just replacing them with metal pipes..Terry K. makes a nice set and they are available from the online vendors, along with the new radiator too.

New fuel lines..a must do if the old fuel lines are original or look the least bit shabby. Van Cafe used to have a kit. Replace the flimsy plastic fuel fitting that goes through the firewall with a metal fitting..Terry K. has those too.

Belts and coolant hoses..and inspect the plastic coolant distributor on the passenger side near the firewall as well as the thermostat housing..the plastic can become brittle with age.

Clean the battery box and if it is corroded sand and repaint..use a battery Acid Neutralizing Mat under the battery..Amazon has them as well as your local FLAPS.

dhaavers Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:34 am

Clean all your electrical ground points, front & back...

joetiger Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:57 am

Snort wrote: Spend one hour each day reading everything you can find on thesamba for the rest of your life or until you no longer have any Volkswagens whichever comes first.

Truth. :D

levi Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Lots of good suggestions here.
I'll echo the fuel line replacement (including eliminating that turd of a plastic fitting at the engine bulkhead, hidden behind the coolant lines), but add to that, the lines at the injectors.
Anything else that goes wrong is only an inconvenience.

Here's a great how to from Benny, with pics 8)

http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm

JaredN16 Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

I recently did a flush of my coolant system, and used Pentofrost SF coolant. It is a phosphate free product, but it is pink and the specifications say Volkswagen's post 2006. Is this stuff ok to use??

wecm31 Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:36 am

I can't speak to the exact brand you mention....
...but phosphate free is the critical parameter to my knowledge.

you should be fine...

davevickery Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:52 am

JaredN16 wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was told that the reason for greasing the throttle cable was to prevent the accelerator from sticking, which actually happened briefly on the first drive. Should I replace the cable rather than just greasing it?

Was it below freezing when it "stuck". If so more than likely it froze from water in the sheath. Use alcohol of gas line antifreeze stuff to remove the water. Squirt it down the cable (figure out how to manage that first I guess - I put some alcohol in an empty spray bottle and did the best I could). Don't use silicone spray there or in the speedo cluster cable. That stuff freezes too.

I'm not sure what you can put over the ends to keep out water, maybe thick grease. There is supposed to be a boot or something on the ends to keep water out. A new cable won't help if it lets water in there. In Massachusetts in the winter, you need to keep water out of there.
Dave

KevinsKamper Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:23 am

If it will be sitting outside for the winter you may want to set up defenses against mice ....they can make a real mess.....try to block any access points like fresh air vents, and place peppermint oil soaked cotton balls inside the van....smells nice to humans but mice run from it....

fraggle00 Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:39 am

Van cafe will be your friend.

If you don't have proof that the gas tank has been revealed, expect to do that too. Buy the rollover valves with the gaskets when you get the kit. If you don't have them I promise you'll break one due to old plastics.

I've done most of the catch up stuff on my 91 carat over the past year, including replacing the throttle cable, gas tank reseal, most of the coolant lines (but not the pipes) water pump, catalytic converter, window regulators' and a ton of other little bits and fixes. Nothing has been overly expensive, though the water pump was a true pain in the ass.

I drive mine every day.

AtlasShrugged Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:22 pm

JaredN16 wrote: I recently did a flush of my coolant system, and used Pentofrost SF coolant. It is a phosphate free product, but it is pink and the specifications say Volkswagen's post 2006. Is this stuff ok to use??

It is fine..a little expensive but a good product. Most modern All Makes and Models coolants are one form or another a Dexclone..the Pentofrost has some of the same Dex chemistry..our WBX engines like the Dexclone coolants.

geodude Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:49 pm

1. Change the fuel lines (I know it was said several times, but really change your fuel lines) including the ones on the injectors.
2. Get a Bentley
3. Change your coolant
4. Change your oil and put a Mahle or Mann filter on it
5. Check the fluid levels in the transaxle. People usually forget the final drive, separate 17mm Allen plug on the rear most section of transaxle.
6. For outside storage I like to put a heating cord along the floor that adds a little heat to help keep condensation from happening inside. Usually sold for terrariums. You don't want super hot, just warm; I think they draw something like 20w. I just run a flat style extension cord through the front door, the seal is large enough to accommodate a small cord without squishing it.
7. Give it a good wax before storing.

JaredN16 Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Does anyone know where I can get this exterior panel?

I checked bus depot and they told me it is no longer available

It is on a 1991 Vanagon, if anyone knows someone who is parting one out. Or has these panels, could you please put me in touch

Thanks

luVWagn Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:12 pm

JaredN16 wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get this exterior panel?

I checked bus depot and they told me it is no longer available

It is on a 1991 Vanagon, if anyone knows someone who is parting one out. Or has these panels, could you please put me in touch

Thanks
Check the classifieds here... For example:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...s=cladding