TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: power steering leaking in reverse and neutral?
mtnphan Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:19 pm

Anyone had this happen? It is leaking right in the middle of the front axle. Cant tell where the leak is coming from though. It goes down a hose to the left front tire.

mtnphan Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:03 pm

So another question... Is it detrimental to the vans operation to run with no power steering fluid? It appears as though im bone dry in there. Can I make it to the auto parts store?

MarkWard Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:22 am

The pump needs fluid to lubricate itself. I would remove the belt if you must drive it temporarily without power steering. It won't damage the rack. To find the leak, you will need to add fluid, clean the area up front and see where the actual leak is coming from.

campism Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:00 am

Remove the belt NOW before you do any damage to the pump, then you will have the leisure to drive the van without damaging it while you troubleshoot the cause of the problem. When my PS rack was leaking I drove it without the belt as a manual-steering van for over a year. I then rebuilt the rack recently and reinstalled the belt, filled with fluid and it works fine now.

A rebuild kit and new rack boots will cost you about $100. A rebuilt rack from one of our vendors will be about $300 (may include the boots or may not--be sure to check) and a core charge until you return your old rack.

Terry Kay Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:19 am

I have a hot news item for you.
If in fact the power steering fluid is leaking in reverse or neutral, it's leaking in D or L , or 1, 2, 3, & 4th gear--whichever trans you have.

You just don't see it, cause it's automatically uncoating the Van moving forward.

Take off the belt prior to smoking the pump or rack.