TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: transaxle comparison 1974 T2 to 1982 Vanagon
flaquito1 Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Can anyone tell me the specific differences between the type 2 manual transaxle and the transaxle in the 1982 Vanagon? I have been working on swapping a 2.0 liter air-cooled engine into a 1974 Bay Window Riviera. Swap was almost complete but engine wouldn't rotate until I loosened the four main trans to engine mount bolts. The engine is a fresh crate motor from Germany and the transaxle has been overhauled locally by a reputable dealer. It appears that the pilot shaft is binding up and restricting engine rotation which inevitably will require me to remove the engine to investigate the cause. I suppose it could be a bad pilot bearing but I am curious if the length of the two transaxle pilot shafts might possibly be different. I know this engine swap has been accomplished before, but never knew there was an issue with the gearbox or modification requirement. The person who did this swap didn't mention having to make any changes except to the "mustache bar" which I have already accomplished. Thanks for any input or advice.

Wildthings Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:47 pm

The 228mm clutch cover will not fit into the 002 bellhousing unless the bellhousing has been clearanced. If this is your problem, then it would be best to find a 091 bellhousing and swap it for the 002 bellhousing.

You could use an earlier flywheel and clutch, either 210 or 215mm, which would work with the 002 bellhousing.

Note that the starter you use must match the bellhousing and not the flywheel.

flaquito1 Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks for the response Wild Things. Now I'm just weighing the decision of whether to change bell housing or buy another clutch assembly (I still have the one off my old 1700 but would prefer going with a new one as everything else is new or overhauled). I think replacing the bell housing would be the least expensive route as I have a VW salvage yard locally and they usually treat me right on parts and equipment. Also the likelihood of the new starter fitting the 1700 bell housing will be good. Thanks again.

1967250s Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:28 pm

There are two bosses inside the bell housing at the 5 and 7 oclock position that bind against the 2 liter flywheel. If you grind those off, all should fit. Pretty easy to do, and no loss of strength. And use the late starter. Changing bell housing is a messy job. Or use the 210 flywheel and clutch. No real reason not to use it, and there are plenty available good. And a 215 disc will fit in the 210 flywheel, and are easier and cheaper to find. Been there, done both. Of course, the gearing is different for 1.7 and 2L, so that is also a consideration. But it sounds like you're keeping the 002, so mute point, I guess? I supose you could get larger tires.

1967250s Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:37 pm

New gear oil would be good idea, too.

flaquito1 Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:52 pm

Transaxle is fresh overhauled...Already has new oil. Only issue is the rub from clutch to bellhousing. 2.0 liter is factory fresh crate...Don't want to change clutch assembly for smaller unit. Will be machining bellhousing. For me the best and cheapest route as everything is new! Thanks for all the input...Much appreciated!

raygreenwood Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Just wondering....where does one get a "crate" type 4 motor from Germany?
Generally "crate" refers to factory new engine/rebuilt in the box....of which there is no such thing in this day and age (ACVW wise).

Or was this something put together by a private German shop?

If this actually an NOS factory type 4 crate engine....I think that would date it about...1989 to early 90's......

You know.... if that is true..... it needs to be stripped to a least a short block and checked for rust and re-assembly lubed....after sitting that long.
Ray

Randy in Maine Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Did you overhaul the vanagon transmission or the 74 one?

Tcash Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:11 pm

This should help you nail down which bell housing (clutch cover) you have.
Starter id = Which clutch cover/bell housing you have