TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mild cam or ratio rockers?
JQ Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm building a pretty much stock 1600dp motor for my tintop camper and I'm looking for a little bit more torque in the low range of the RPM curve. I've heard and read good things about switching the stock cam to something mild such as the Engle w100 or something similar. My stock cam from the motor I tore down is still good and could be thrown right back in the motor but since I need new lifters I thought I might as well dish out a little more for a new and improved camshaft. What are the thoughts on this? Also could I use the original riveted gear from my old cam since its still good instead of buying a new one? I am also aiming for longevity of this motor so will an aftermarket cam affect anything or is an upgrade from reusing my used stock cam better?

I've also read about ratio rockers being used for an improvement in the valve train but I don't know too much in this field of the motor. I don't want to end up messing around playing with the geometry unless I'm convinced its worth it to do so. Should I just stick to my original stock rockers with an upgraded cam or should I consider using ratio rockers instead of a cam? What are the advantages of doing so and what is the process to switch over including parts that need to be changed?

Thanks!

telford dorr Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:40 pm

AFAIK, the stock cam is mild enough to run ratio rockers (1:25 or 1:40) with no problems. I'd run heavy duty single springs with ratio rockers and heavy duty pushrods. If you run heavy duty springs, you should swap out the exhaust valves for the best ones you can find, to avoid stem stretch. And you'll need to check the springs for coil bind and check the valve train geometry [don't 'assume' it's OK). [Notice the 'snowball' effect here...]

With any cam other than stock, always use the rocker ratio, springs, and pushrods recommended by the manufacturer for best results.

madmike Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:38 am

Yepper, snowball'n is right, Get a new cam gear!! most aftermarket cams have 3 bolts :wink:
then get an oil 26mm pump for a flat cam, may as well full Flow it so u can have a filter,, HD springs are about a must have with a w110 cam, I used stock pushrods without issues, Bolted rocker shafts,are not a must have but are nice :wink:

babysnakes Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:16 am

The 110 will give you more pep, the 100 will have more torque. I have a 100 in my bus with stock ratio rockers. Get a new cam gear. A 26mm oil pump and full flow is good advice.

SGKent Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:40 pm

the 1600 can more than adequately breathe with a set of dual carbs. The exhaust side will need some work if you want to get max from the engine. A mild cam like the 100 will give you good torque. You do not need to hold the valves open further. Have the machine shop who does your heads swirl polish the backs of the intake valves and they will flow more than enough air for a 1600 with stock ratio rockers. Please keep in mind that the more you work the valve springs, the farther you move the valves each cycle etc, the faster they will wear out on a street car. You are not a racer who is concerned about 1/2 HP more. You are concerned about longevity. To get max longevity out of the 1600 on a bus, VW actually throttled the engine back by choking it on the intake and exhaust systems.

JQ Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Okay good info here guys. Thanks for the input. Some more details about the motor, I'm pretty sure I will be staying as close to a stockish single barrel carb since Ive got a 34-3 laying around. I already got the case set up for full flow and I am using a Schadek 26mm oil pump. I don't remember whether it was for a flat or dished cam but I would like to use the one I have instead of buying another. I also do have a 4 to 1 header that i will be using on this motor and it even has the preheat manifolds.

I was afraid of that snowball effect happening if I tried messing with the valve train which is why I will most likely just stick to stock and if for some reason I decide to change it later down the road it is an easy swap.

Another question; with a mild cam like the w100 can i resuse my stock pushrods and springs since they appear to all be in good conditions.?

babysnakes Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:37 pm

JQ wrote: with a mild cam like the w100 can i resuse my stock pushrods and springs since they appear to all be in good conditions.?

Yes.

madmike Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:41 am

With my racing background I can't leave nothing alone :roll:
Plus the fact I hate single solex carbs :lol: and get better mileage with 40 IDF's an don't have to downshift going up hills most of the time, even with a W110 cam I can cruise in 3rd gear at 1500 rpm on the 'Two Tracks' up here :lol: