TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Our first Westy! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
BlueGrasser Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:43 pm

I've been searching and searching the last few months and finally got our first Westy! She's got a little rust here and there (especially under the kitchen ports), but she also has a fresh 1.8T motor, upgraded tires, bilstein shocks and new springs, stainless steel coolant lines, cruise control, upgraded performance clutch and the interior is in absolutely great shape. Man I'm lucky! :D

That 1.8T had no problem zooming at 75 on the way home :-)

Needs a little rust attention and a rebuild of the transmission soon, but hey can't have everything.

First camping trip is this weekend!

[/i]

bosruten Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Nice...your kids are gonna love it!!

vela123321 Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:50 pm

Your kids are the perfect age to enjoy Westy camping. Although there has been some frustration here and there... And some $$$ to go with it... I wouldn't trade it for anything. Nor would my wife and kids.

Enjoy!

madspaniard Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Congrats! Family looks happy, you can't beat that.

Very nice ride and engine! It looks like you might need to replace the drivers lower panel below the hookup boxes. Also, get the proper Westfalia sticker for the front luggage rack. Last, it looks like the lower front grille opening is bigger than the grille?

TequilaSunSet Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14 pm

Me: Westy
YOU: Weekender

I WIN! :lol:

Bout damn time, and welcome to the 1.8T Family, drinks are on you! :P

BTW... awesome color :lol:

gene l Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Congratulations! Have Bruce talk you into going to Rio Vista with the Camper Family in November.

Good on you!

Gene

TequilaSunSet Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:34 pm

gene l wrote: Congratulations! Have Bruce talk you into going to Rio Vista with the Camper Family in November.

Good on you!

Gene

^^What Gene said :D

BlueGrasser Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:45 pm

gene l wrote: Congratulations! Have Bruce talk you into going to Rio Vista with the Camper Family in November.

Good on you!

Gene

Sounds like fun!

BlueGrasser Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:51 pm

TequilaSunSet wrote: Me: Westy

Yeah, we were leaning weekender, but I'm really glad we full camper Westy. It does have the rails for a middle seat if I can find one. Then I'll have more seating when not in camping mode.

TequilaSunSet wrote: Bout damn time, and welcome to the 1.8T Family, drinks are on you!

You got it, I'll buy you a drink anytime for putting up with my whining throughout the search (and for your creative ideas). :lol:

TequilaSunSet Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:56 pm

BlueGrasser wrote: TequilaSunSet wrote: Me: Westy

Yeah, we were leaning weekender, but I'm really glad we full camper Westy. It does have the rails for a middle seat if I can find one. Then I'll have more seating when not in camping mode.

TequilaSunSet wrote: Bout damn time, and welcome to the 1.8T Family, drinks are on you!

You got it, I'll buy you a drink anytime for putting up with my whining throughout the search (and for your creative ideas). :lol:

Thats not whining, thats just part of the journeys fun! :D

singler3360 Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:02 pm

You are in the sweet spot with the kids at their age and to do it with a Westy with a 1.8T, even better. Congrats!

hans j Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:24 pm

Awesome, deal of the year on this one! I saw it for sale earlier today. The 1.8T kit in there is really clean and SAH might have a brown 1" thick cushion to lay on the seats when they are folded down to make the bed level.

I encourage you to add the ports on the transmission in case you want to put a fluid pump in someday. Also a temperature gauge will come in handy so you don't over do it with your fancy engine ;)

70coupyel Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Welcome ! Great van and happy smiles. I guess you have a high milage stock tranny. Drive it smooth to help preserve the miles you have left in your tranny. Boy first camp out very exciting.

70coupyel Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Welcome ! Great van and happy smiles. I guess you have a high milage stock tranny. Drive it smooth to help preserve the miles you have left in your tranny. Boy first camp out very exciting.

HoustonPhotog Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:23 am

very nice congrats!

Jake de Villiers Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:57 am

madspaniard wrote: Congrats! Family looks happy, you can't beat that.

Very nice ride and engine! It looks like you might need to replace the drivers lower panel below the hookup boxes. Also, get the proper Westfalia sticker for the front luggage rack. Last, it looks like the lower front grille opening is bigger than the grille?

The grille openings are all that shape, it just shows up better on a Pastel White van. ;)

Jake de Villiers Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:59 am

Congrats on the van - the kids look really happy!

Good choice on the colour, too! :D

Huxmobile Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:08 am

Nice find!
You and kids will enjoy this for years to come.
Looks like the kids are well past car seats, so........
Not that you need more projects when it come's to the westy, but these have been pretty easy safety features to install.

3-point retractable seat belts for rear:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244354&highlight=headrests+rear

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188800&highlight=headrests+rear

and
Rear Head rests:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303299&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

madspaniard Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:48 am

Jake de Villiers wrote: madspaniard wrote: Congrats! Family looks happy, you can't beat that.

The grille openings are all that shape, it just shows up better on a Pastel White van. ;)

You are right! Funny how I never noticed this in my own van, I have removed that grille a number of times and never paid attention to that detail. You are probably right that the white color makes it stand up a bit more (mine is dark blue "Orly") plus the fiberglass bumper comes up a big higher than the metal one making the gap less obvious.

Back to regular programming, BlueGrasser, where are you going camping this weekend? I have two kids too, most likely we will be camping at Donner Lake this weekend.

BlueGrasser Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 am

madspaniard wrote:
Back to regular programming, BlueGrasser, where are you going camping this weekend? I have two kids too, most likely we will be camping at Donner Lake this weekend.

Just a quick overnighter to Sugarpine reservoir near Foresthill. Can't wait!