TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: AFM pins 36 & 39 test.
No Simple Highway Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:31 am

<77 with FI>

Want to verify...

I have continuity between pins 36 and 39. Bentley says to replace. I came across another afm in a box of old parts, but it had the same problem. The other multimeter tests were within spec on both.

Questions:
1. What sort of symptoms would be apparent with this failure? Any idea?

2. Is the AFM only available as a swap meet or used find?

I am wondering if locating a replacement is worth it or not...if it will help my bus to idle or just be another part that got replaced but didn't help.

Still plugging away on this '77.

ONWARD!
NSH

SGKent Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:40 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi...Manual.pdf

Wildthings Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:44 am

This would make the fuel pump run whenever the key was on, otherwise the engine would run normally. Is the door in the AFM closing fully? You may want to pull the cover off the AFM and see what is going on inside. It is easy to slightly bend the contacts for fuel pump relay so that they are open when the flap is closed.

No Simple Highway Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Wild, yes my pump goes on with the key. I guess I see no urgent reason to correct that if it is causing no other problems, but I may eventually crack it open like you suggest. For now, my fuel lines are new and the system is closed, so let it run with the key!

SGK, my printer is going crazy so that I can have it at my dirty fingertips at the bus-side.

Thank you both!

ONWARD!
NSH

Tcash Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks to Amskeptic. This shows the fuel pump points.
AFM Adjustment

Tcash Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks to Amskeptic. This shows the fuel pump points.
AFM Adjustment