TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1984 Westy hesitant to start
Deadhead1976 Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:43 am

Hello. I have a 1984 Westy Wolfsburg, stock 1.9 and I am having trouble hunting down this issue that the van developed of not wanting to start. I will turn the key, the engine will crank, but will not fire up. The only way that I am able to get the engine to start, is to hit the throttle at just the right moment when I turn the key (almost like you would have to do with a carb). If I don't do that, the van floods, and I have to unplug the relay, start the van until it runs out of fuel, plug the relay back in and try again. I have checked for spark, injectors are firing, checked plugs, not fouled, etc. I'm looking for some suggestions on where I can start to focus my search for this gremlin. I'd like to note that when I get the van to start, it sounds like it is missing for about 20 seconds, and then after that it runs like a top all day long with plenty of power (as much as can be expected).

I am always working on my van, upgrading and improving so here is a list of recent (within the last year and 3k miles) and not so recent work that has been done that may be relevant:
[NEW within last year]: plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, new (not rebuilt) injectors, injector seals, fuel lines, Bosch fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter (upgraded to the big can post pump), Bosch fuel pump, fuel rails, temp II sensor, O2 sensor, Aux. air regulator, some new vacuum lines (all were checked), fuel pump relay, all grounds were cleaned and new connections crimped on.
[Not so new]: fuel tank and reseal (5 years old), engine (34k miles on remanuf.)

Thanks!

Ahwahnee Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:13 pm

I cannot account for why you perceive that you "hit the throttle at just the right moment" to get the engine to start. It doesn't seem to me that movement of the plate in the throttle body would have any effect on starting.

Have you ever noticed this happening? You are cranking the engine and it is not firing then, just at the moment you release the key from the start position it fires and starts.

Westified Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:33 pm

Have you checked the timing? Check the wires going to your alternator. Make sure they are clean and snug. Also, have you replaced the ignition switch?

Deadhead1976 Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:14 pm

If I simply turn the key, the engine will not start, it will crank and crank. If I hit the throttle right as I begin to turn the key, 75%of the time it will catch and start. If I turn the key, let it crank for a few seconds and then hit or pump the gas, it will not start. That's why I wrote, "if I hit the throttle at the right moment". I don't know why it works, I'm simply stating what I have to do to persuade the engine to start. As far as letting the ignition go and starting, no it doesn't do that.
The ignition switch had been replaced around 5 years ago as well. If it were the ignition switch failing again, wouldn't it prevent the engine from cranking at all? I did read once before about the alternator wiring being a cause for no start so I have checked that as well. I have not checked timing yet. It is on my short list.

PAdom Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:52 pm

If your ignition switch was bad or going bad sometimes when you turn the key nothing would happen, maybe the next time it would start,then the next time nothing. No sounds no clicking nothing..those were my symptoms of my bad ignition switch.

dhaavers Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Please verify that you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn key to the first slot...???

Deadhead1976 Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Yes, the pump primes for 1.5-2 seconds.

Amskeptic Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:10 am

Deadhead1976 wrote: Yes, the pump primes for 1.5-2 seconds.

Kicking the accelerator during cranking will punch the wiper over in the AFM and give you a little extra fuel mixture.

Check cold start system and both intake and cylinder head temp sensors for correct values.

Deadhead1976 Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Well, I put in a rebuilt AFM tonight and still no change.

alnvilma Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:32 pm

My 84 did that exact thing after all the stuff you did!
It seemed to help if I primed it a few times before cranking.
Make sure that little blue wire (from the alt?) is not shoddy.
Also, try a second ground from the starter to the frame.
Don't know why that helped. It just did.
I ultimately did a conversion and put those gremlins behind me.