TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Has anybody bought repro popouts from Concept 1/EIS?
Envious Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:36 pm

I've been looking for some better than average rear popouts for my 63. I haven't been able to find any exceptionally clean ones on the market. Now that my car is nearly finished, I'm considering buying some of these repops to fill the hole until I find an authentic set.

Has anybody purchased and installed these from Concept1 (or anywhere else for that matter). Even though they're only temporary, I don't want them to look like crap in the meanwhile.

http://store.concept1.ca/Beetle-Complete-Popouts-58-64-EIS113898400A/

hitest Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Out of curiosity, that's an EIS Parts catalog par number. I looked on their website, and those are $400 pair USD. I don't know the exchange rate- but is buying from the maker better than a reseller (Concept1)?

I've seen a pair of these EIS windows installed- and they look great. I'd say the one thing they lack is the "genuineness" of old German knobs, depth of chrome, etc. Also, the sheen that the frames give off lacks the rainbow-ish reflection (that looks like petroleum sheen) on the originals. They are very nice. The people who buy these I bet all have Wolfsburg West bumpers, new wheels, etc. They complete the more expensive restorations.

Joey Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:30 am

hitest wrote: Out of curiosity, that's an EIS Parts catalog par number. I looked on their website, and those are $400 pair USD. I don't know the exchange rate- but is buying from the maker better than a reseller (Concept1)?

With the exchange rate, duty and broker fees, yes, it would be cheaper buying from Concept1 if you live in Canada.

Envious Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:10 am

Joey wrote: hitest wrote: Out of curiosity, that's an EIS Parts catalog par number. I looked on their website, and those are $400 pair USD. I don't know the exchange rate- but is buying from the maker better than a reseller (Concept1)?

With the exchange rate, duty and broker fees, yes, it would be cheaper buying from Concept1 if you live in Canada.
That's what I was thinking as well. I figured that they were the same product as EIS.

jhicken Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Most likely they are the same as these

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-898-400-A

-jeffrey

Joey Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:34 pm

jhicken wrote: Most likely they are the same as these

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-898-400-A

-jeffrey

or not...

From the description:

"Because we cannot always guarantee availability from our main supplier, we now offer 2 different kits for each year break. Please note that these kits come with slightly different parts. Please check the pictures closely to view the difference."

jhicken Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:50 am

Based on the pictures, they appear to be the same kits.

-jeffrey

glutamodo Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:08 am

I've got several scans of old VW-sections of JC Whitney catalogs in my Samba Gallery, and remembered seeing a listing for such a kit in one of them. I don't know where they got the idea that late 64s came with these, makes me think it may be related to when VW started to predrill the mounting holes. (this is from a 1964 catalog)

Oh, and $27.95 in 1964 dollars, adjusted for inflation to 2014, is about $210 now. I wonder how the new 400 dollar kits compare to the ones that JCW sold back then...

-Andy