TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front End Opinions
M36 Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:21 pm

The trips I went to the dunes after getting this the front end was really hard suspension wise. I understand now with the reading Ive done that I should have removed the front shocks. However, for running around in the desert Im trying to find opinions on shocks or maybe adjusting this front end for the best ride. Or shocks and adjustments.

The other shocks were something painted black and didnt seem to stiff when compressing them. Fox shocks in the rear make the ride back there very nice. Need help up front.

Thank you

77charger Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:25 pm

get some longer trailing arms they will ride softer with the stock torsions and also give moire travel.

Other option is coil overs.

KrAzY-BaJa Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:39 pm

depending on you shock lenght buy cheap oil filled shocks,
or shocks that can be re valved (buy them pre valved to very soft)

dirtslinger Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:57 pm

I would take your front end apart, put new bushings in the front end, ream them properly and except to see a big difference.
A lot of people just hammer the arms into the bushings rather than reaming them to the proper diameter.
With no springs in the arms, they should move freely by hand and when lifted up to the bump stops, they should drop under their own weight.
I'm gonna guess thats what you have going on.

dirtslinger Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:58 pm

I would take your front end apart, put new bushings in the front end, ream them properly and except to see a big difference.
A lot of people just hammer the arms into the bushings rather than reaming them to the proper diameter.
With no springs in the arms, they should move freely by hand and when lifted up to the bump stops, they should drop under their own weight.

dirtslinger Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:58 pm

dustymojave Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Maybe you're just not driving fast enough for the setup. If it's setup for hard driving and you're putting, it will feel very stiff. It appears the lower torsion is rotated, but not the top. It doesn't look like a lot of difference, and the ride height doesn't look extreme for stock arms. So I don't think the front is set very stiff. Dirtslinger may be right that the bushings are too tight. At least one of those times he said so. :D

Don't expect to be able to flog that car too hard. A friend of mine had a similar chassis with a stock beam and driving down a dirt road you could see the frame twisting more than the arms were moving in the beam. For sand that's cool and lightweight. For hard desert, welding in bracing like the Berrien "Chassis Brace Kit" is good and stiffens the frame dramatically, especially the front:
http://acmecarco.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=3179

Very effective for the $70 price.

M36 Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:19 pm

The extra bracing is something I have wanted to do anyway but I dont plan on pounding through the desert. Just use it to run along some dirt roads. Mostly this is for sand. And the longer trailing arms has been a goal also.

The ride is somewhat nicer without the front shocks. Im not quite sure of the purpose of coil overs but it gives me a direction to go and more to research.

I bought the frame from Chenowth and transfered most of the parts and motor from another sand rail I bought for a good price.

Several years of non use has got me back to where I was when I used it last. Just forgot where I left off.

BTW that reaming tool sure is expensive.

ORANGECRUSHer Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:07 am

Just my 2cents. I've replaced a couple bushings and I've never had to ream them. The urethanes fit fine. So be sure that is the problem before buying that tool. I'd imagine you should be able to feel it by rotating one arm when it's not attached to the spindle.

HERC Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:48 am

Delrin bushings have always been my choice. I don't want to have to worry about stiction problems

M36 Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:20 pm

What length of trailing arm would be best? 4"?. Also the ones Im looking at use through rods. So with the through rods then I should be using coil overs or a gas shock?

KrAzY-BaJa Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:01 pm

M36 wrote: What length of trailing arm would be best? 4"?. Also the ones Im looking at use through rods. So with the through rods then I should be using coil overs or a gas shock?
the 2" range would make your torsion a bit Softer.

with 4" yes you would need coilovers. also longer tie rods, re mount rack&pinion for bump steer , bumpstops, limitstraps and you would have a real good chance of having to make the shock tower taller

M36 Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Imagine that, lower the tire pressure and get a softer ride. I need a slap myself in the head emoticon!

Q-Dog Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:46 am

M36 wrote: Imagine that, lower the tire pressure and get a softer ride. I need a slap myself in the head emoticon!
Been there. ](*,)

KrAzY-BaJa Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:14 am

M36 wrote: Imagine that, lower the tire pressure and get a softer ride. I need a slap myself in the head emoticon! yea you could be running at least 10psi or lower with such a light front

dustymojave Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:48 am

KrAzY-BaJa wrote: M36 wrote: Imagine that, lower the tire pressure and get a softer ride. I need a slap myself in the head emoticon! yea you could be running at least 10psi or lower with such a light front
In the dunes anyway...On dirt is a different story. More like 18-30psi.

jsturtlebuggy Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:40 pm

With that light of front end and you are not racing even 18psi is to high of pressure.
Some where around 10psi like has been said would be good to run.

I have a heavy Manxter (full length fiberglass body)that used on and off the road, and I run 16psi all the time without any problems even cruising at speed limits of 80mph in some states.

If you were off road racing then yes you want to use higher psi. The buggy and Baja Bug I was prepping used 35-40psi in front tires to keep rims from bending.