TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Source for Vanagaon power window motor...
AustinVan Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a power window motor....any suggestions?

Thanks!

hans j Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:35 pm

I think in the classifieds 16CV's rebuilds them.

AustinVan Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks Hans. You rock!

geo_tonz Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Van Cafe also sells refurbished ones but you get charged a core deposit 'till you send your old one in.

I just had my driver's side crap out. Lubed up the regulator and got a little bit of feeble movement. Popped the motor off the housing and took it into a local automotive electrical shop and they cleaned it all up and lubed it. Turned out the original lube had dried out and gotten sticky to the point where it impeded movement. Was about 1/2 the cost of the motor from VC and works like new now.

Not sure if 16v does the motors or not...his add only talks about the regulator...$125 for regulator and motor rebuild would be a great price though.

geodude Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:35 pm

While you have everything apart I would highly recommend reinforcing the regulator. Passenger side destroyed itself when one of the plastic rivets broke and the available new replacement only lasted a year before the spot welds on it failed. There are posts about replacing the plastic rivets if you do a search.

I had good luck taking the two rubber plugs out of my motors and spraying Kroil (sort of like PB Blaster) in there to remove all the crude. Came out black for awhile, stopped spraying when it went clear. Motors worked much better afterward.

hans j Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:43 pm

This is the one I saw as well as the regulator rebuilds: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1672226

Definitely clean up anything else that is inside there! And you may just need the regulator cleaned. Or even a new switch...

16CVs Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Yes I also have an ad for Motor rebuilds as well. I think I need to add some photos. This is a reminder for me to do it. I realize that people love pictures.
I can repair the deadest motor. I am constantly buying dead motors and regulators and love a challenge.
I do require a core ,all of my pricing is in my ad. P mail me with any questions.

Stacy

IdahoDoug Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:59 pm

A plug for 16CVs. Great service and work. One comment if you can be tipped one way or another (try it yourself VS Stacy) would be that if he does it the peace of mind is considerable. When the kids or my wife run the windows down for 10 seconds, then back up because "its too cold" it doesn't drive me batty because I know they're not on the verge of breaking. Because someone who knows what he is doing went through them, you get that peace of mind, versus thinking "crap, hope that plastic bit I JB Welded doesn't break when she hits the up button....".

Worth it, IMO.

Doug

datsnice Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:22 pm

I have another related request....I am in search of the CABLE ONLY for my driver side power window. The motor works fine, and I replaced the plastic guide thingy last time this happened. However, the cables were badly kinked barely workable as it was, now my driver side cable is toast. Do I have to buy the whole new regulator setup ($179 @ BusDepot)?

16CVs Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:47 pm

As far as I know there are no cables available. check out the classifieds for Regulator Rebuild. I have all parts for rebuild, but offer them as a service not as parts.
Yours can either be rebuilt or I can offer up an Exchange.

Stacy

IdahoDoug Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:24 pm

During my window saga, I learned something about non operating windows. You can drive the van with the blower fan not operating. You can drive it with a broken antenna, leaking head seals, or a clicking CV. But having a power window stuck halfway up essentially makes the van undriveable because you can't park it and leave it anywhere with open windows.

After having mine running well but with a window issue, I realized how big a deal that was. I couldn't even leave it out front of my house that way because it could rain, or a cat could jump into it and trash the interior.

So, working windows are worth the money.

DougM

gkvaughn Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:52 pm

Another plug for 16CV's and his rebuilt power window motors. Stacy shipped one to me quickly and it works great.

ThankYouJerry Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:06 pm

gkvaughn wrote: Another plug for 16CV's and his rebuilt power window motors. Stacy shipped one to me quickly and it works great.

Same here. Another :D customer/camper!