TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: what backing plates for type 3 rear brake swap ?
esde Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:18 pm

As the title suggests, I'm trying to identify some backing plates for a t3 brake swap on my split bus. I have a pair of type 3 drums, but am not sure what backing plates to use. Looking at the parts list on ISP's site I see two different backing plates available, other sites have different year splits for wheel cylinders, and shoes. I'd like to get the correct stuff the first time, as it's hard to find and expensive.. so a question. I see different backing plates for 61-63, and then 64-65. Do they use the same drum? Does each backing plate use its own cylinders and shoes? I'm 99% certain that the 4 lug backing plates won't work with the wide 5 drums, right?

It would be awesome if I had a picture showing the backing plates I'm looking for. Several friends have stuff hoarded, in the worst way. Knowing they might have it without knowing what it looks like is driving me nuts..
I searched for a few hours last night, and emailed ISP but I'm pretty much where I started, not knowing exactly what I need. Thanks in advance, SD

Erik G Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Use late backing plates. They will all work, but the late ones have holes in the back so you can adjust the brakes from the back. Thank me later :D

Bobnotch Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:28 pm

esde wrote: As the title suggests, I'm trying to identify some backing plates for a t3 brake swap on my split bus. I have a pair of type 3 drums, but am not sure what backing plates to use. ...I see different backing plates for 61-63, and then 64-65. Do they use the same drum? Does each backing plate use its own cylinders and shoes? I'm 99% certain that the 4 lug backing plates won't work with the wide 5 drums, right?

The 64 and 65 wide 5 drum CAN use the later 4 lug backing plates, wheel cylinders, and brake shoes. The side benefit of using them, is that you can adjust the brakes from behind. :wink: I think the 61 to 63 have a slightly narrower brake shoe on them. :-k
I hope this helps.

esde Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Bobnotch wrote: esde wrote: As the title suggests, I'm trying to identify some backing plates for a t3 brake swap on my split bus. I have a pair of type 3 drums, but am not sure what backing plates to use. ...I see different backing plates for 61-63, and then 64-65. Do they use the same drum? Does each backing plate use its own cylinders and shoes? I'm 99% certain that the 4 lug backing plates won't work with the wide 5 drums, right?

The 64 and 65 wide 5 drum CAN use the later 4 lug backing plates, wheel cylinders, and brake shoes. The side benefit of using them, is that you can adjust the brakes from behind. :wink: I think the 61 to 63 have a slightly narrower brake shoe on them. :-k
I hope this helps.

That helps a LOT! the 4 lug stuff isn't hard to come by like the 5 lug, and my drums are 65 so it should work. Thanks!