TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil sludge
jpjohns Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:54 am

So this 68 Ghia has been sitting out in a farmers field for 10 years (yeah I know). I just got around to draining the oil so we can drop the engine and get it on a stand for rebuilding. The oil came out looking like chocolate milk and smelled horrible.

anthracitedub Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:06 am

Water... You'll likely have some rusted parts in there too.

gt1953 Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:23 pm

that is bad news. be glad you are taking it all apart.

jpjohns Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:59 pm

anthracitedub wrote: Water... You'll likely have some rusted parts in there too.

That's funny you said that because the half quart that drained out was water, then the oil started flowing.

Juanito84 Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:24 pm

Wow! That's the first time I've seen a "chocolate milk shake" in an air-cooled engine! That's what you usually see in a water-cooled engine when a gasket blows and water gets into the crankcase.

modok Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:39 pm

Bout the 100th time I've seen it. Call it chocolate milk. It's not hard to clean. Suspect coolant leak. (just kidding)

bugguy076 Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:02 am

Even if the engine was protected from the weather it will build up condinsation inside. This is what happens in a damp area. I have rebuilt a couple of engines like yours. The one was rebuilt not long before it was left to set.. All parts cleaned well, but did not look very good when done. Dark spots from rust, discolored bearings, ect. But everthing measured out OK and looked usable. New valves, springs and a P/C kit put it back on the road for another 75,000 miles until I replaced it with a larger engine.

Quokka42 Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:52 pm

I recommend changing that oil.