TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 86 Syncro Build Thread
VTSyncro Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:13 pm

Hello Samba! I purchased this 86 Syncro back in June and have been driving it around town all summer getting to know it a little better, and now that temps are dropping here in VT, its time to get her in the garage and begin work for the winter.

I'm hoping to accomplish between now and May at least taking care of all the rust, cutting, patching, grinding, encapsulating, everything I can, and to redo the fuel system.

Depending on how long it takes to get the rust sorted, I'd like to replace all bushings, springs and shocks.

Heres a few pics:

Whole photo bucket here, http://s1372.photobucket.com

Obviously those holes will take some work to patch up. Rear corners I have ready to go, foot wells I need to get, the nose is bad, but the van came with a replacement thats in better shape.

I plan on labeling everything, taking a ton of pictures, and documenting what I can here to help keep myself organized.

For the rust repair, once new metal is in, clean all seams inside and out, POR15 on rust followed by epoxy primer and epoxy primer on any new metal. I also plan on cleaning the undercarriage, removing rust, POR15, primer and bed liner for everything.

Any advice is welcome on how I plan to tackle the rust and encapsulate it. This is my first time taking on a project like this, but I'm not afraid to get dirty and learn, and my shop space is shared with a fellow van owner who's got some experience repairing his bus and just picked up a few beetles too, so I'm optimistic.

Anyways, good to be here and I look forward to the advice and the adventure!

dobryan Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Cool! Have fun while you're doing the work.

Here are some good threads on rust and preservation.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525134&highlight=corter

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6288277#6288277

VTSyncro Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks! The Corter van thread has been enormously helpful, our vans suffer from similar rust issues it seems.

Making progress labeling everything, taking lots of photos and peeling off lots of platstidip. I got the coolant drained last night and hoses disconnected. Fuel system and transmission is next.

Gas tank is getting a reseal, what should I consider replacing or upgrading on the engine while I have it out?

[/img]

flomulgator Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:22 am

Was there any rust growing under the plasti-dip? Do you know how old the dip was and can you comment on how it held up or didn't?

After seeing this thing brought back from the dead, your van doesn't look that bad:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609106

VTSyncro Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:03 am

The plastidip seems to have held up pretty well, and the rusting underneath was in places that were already pretty bad, or where it had lifted up allowing moisture to get in. I'm not sure how old it was and it was kind of a pain to peel off in places that weren't cleaned before it was applied.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to bedliner the van once the seams are done and any other body work is taken care of.

nmerrill Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Hey! I've seen this van around for a while in town- at least I think it is the same flat green paint job.
Didn't know it had been sold.
Enjoy the project!

VTSyncro Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Thanks merrill! I bought the van back in June and have been but wanted to drive it around for the summer to enjoy it and get to know it a little better before starting any projects.

I'm up and down Pine St and North Ave all the time if thats where you saw me.

1vw4x4 Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Do yourself a big favor first. Inspect the main frame structure on this
vanagon real well. With the body this bad, good chance you have frame
damage somewhere. I have junked vanagons in better condition. I have
seen a lot of people throwing lot of time and money into vehicles only
to find a major problem shortly there after, and end up junking the
vehicle. In your case having a Syncro / camper, the value is higher,
but only if the entire vehicle is professionally restored. One small sign
of a rust repair would turn away most buyers.

big swifty Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:31 pm

I've seen that van around! I'm in the new north end. Good luck with the project!

nmerrill Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 am

VTSyncro wrote:
I'm up and down Pine St and North Ave all the time if thats where you saw me.

I'm out in Richmond - where you bought it from, no?