TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: not getting oil pressure at all
voklky719 Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:11 pm

why am I not getting oil pressure, I have change the oil and no oil comes out swicth hole, change oil again for a thinner oil nothing, drained oil again and put kerosene and I get kerosene out of the oil switch hole as Im using the switch hole as a visual confirmation for checking of oil pump working,,,, any ideas

skills@eurocarsplus Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:22 pm

congratulations. using kerosene just took all the lubricity out of that engine.

what led to the situation you're in? fresh rebuild/repair etc....

need more info

williamM Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:50 pm

The kero is a very light petroleum product and would require little to pump to the sensor hole- the opposite of engine oil- so your pump is bad- I would think you might find the drive gear slipping on its shaft or the shaft is only reaching the cam with enough friction to spin kero- could be the wrong pump, or it may have broken the drive tab or damaged the end of the cam-

The fact that you are testing it in such a go no go manner is way better than using a gauge or idiot light- so- pull the pump cover and see if it turning and will a light finger pressure stop it (some care required here) You can measure the drive engagement by dis-engage the drive - turn it a bit and try and put it back- the amount it sticks out will be how much it engages the cam.

We all love pics- so show us what caused this anomaly??

mark tucker Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:30 pm

is the car jacked up in the rear? there could be many things that could cause this

voklky719 Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:02 pm

car is not jack up on the rear, took pump cover off and with a wrech rotated engine and pump gears were turning, Is an 1967, H motor I belive original for this car....

HRVW Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:49 pm

:idea: Engine has to run at a higher rpm inorder to build up any pressure.

With oil in the engine hold a small can under the pressure switch hole and have someone turn the key and start the engine. OIl should come flying out so the person will have to turn the engine off quickly.

I have a VDO guage and when I start my engine it takes about 2+ seconds for the guage to show pressure.

Danwvw Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:17 pm

Time for one of these: Early Filter Pump What do you have on it now? Is it already filtered? Full flow or filter pump? You could have some kind of stuck relief valve or lines crossed or something. When you have your oil pump out check the condition of the tab and where it engages the cam!

66brm Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:21 am

Don't pull the pump, pull the gears, its easier, top one engages into the cam. inspect the end for wear and damage, make sure the gears once fitted to the housing are flush with the outside of the housing, and the gasket you use is paper thin, also ensure the cover is flat by facing it on a pane of glass with a sheet of wet/dry paper lubricated with some light oil

I have had issues getting a pump primed previously but a light smear of grease on the gears gets the job done

eashc Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:23 am

Was the car working when you first did the oil change, or is this a rebuild and you're trying to start for the first time?

Danwvw Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 am

Do you have any photo's you could post of your engine? Perhaps the case has been modified in some way that is causing this?

DON@THEO Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:53 pm

From you earlier post did you check this

[email protected] wrote: oil strainer sucking up to pickup is a common problem that exhibits these symptoms.

voklky719 Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:09 pm

i took strainer/filter out before doing the last oil change to a thiner 15/30 oil,
got the ghia for cheap from a tow service and the engine was missing, coil distributor and carb, put all of those items cleaned the fuel tank put new fuel filter and fresh gasoline the good kind no ethanol and fire right up,
I previuosly prime the pump with vaseline, and no oil came up
I will take pics and try loading them up

Danwvw Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Well that's the problem! Clean that vaseline out of the oil intake and I bet it will have oil pressure!