TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The Story of my first car, 1966 Bug Page: 1, 2  Next
schutzstaffel13 Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:44 am

Hai, i'm from Indonesia and i wish to share my experience with my bug which i have it for 2 years. 8)
sorry for incorrect grammar, not very good in English :cry:
hope all of you enjoy it :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
when i was a little boy, i always dream about having a volkswagen

then when i turned 19-20 (2 or 3 years ago) i still dream about having a volkswagen for my daily use.
i start working, saving my money to make my dream come true :lol:

and then when i was 21 i think my money was enough to buy a volkswagen. and i start hunting an abandoned bug.
i prefer to buy an abandoned bug and start the restoratoration so i can choose the colour of paint, trim, etc

i don't really understand the different between 1961-1966 bug, but all i want is pre 67 bug

but i don't find any abandoned bug that can make me pleased

one day i find the ads in the facebook, 1966 bug for sale
and i felt in love at the first time, i don't know why
in fact, that's not an abandoned bug

so, here's the picture of the ads

i contacted the seller, negociate the price, and i pay for the down payment first
because it was in the countryside and takes 7 hours trip with a car/train to take that bug

i asked my friend for help, he accepted it and we went to the countryside by train
in the trip to take that bug, i almost canceled the deal, because some people that i know tell me to pay attention to the seller of this bug, his reputation not so good.
i was very confused. it's like
"oh man, it's already 5 hour trip, what am i gonna do, should i come back, but i want that bug very much."
i decided to continue the trip, the most important is VIN and engine number must match with the paper. i don't care about the seller, as long as i get the paper, car, and keys.

so, finally we arrived at the train station, the seller pick us up
buutt... there was some trouble with the platina on our way back to the seller's home
not a good impression from the bug, but i still want it :)

after the mechanic change the platina and adjust the distributor, finally we arrived at the seller house, i checked the paper, it's completely match with enginer and VIN number

and i was very surprised
the first owner of this vehicle was Ali Murtopo (political figure during the second president of Indonesia)

so, after i complete the asking price, we (my friend n i) bring this bug back to my city
it's about 17.30 PM we leave that city, it's getting dark, and it's rain

schutzstaffel13 Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:46 am

in the trip on our way back to home, the bug is fine
it takes 12 hours drive, because we must stopped to check the engine, not to push the engine so hard

the only problem was, i never drive a bug, so i just hold out for 1 hour to drive my bug :oops:
it's dark at night. small rear view mirror, no passanger mirror, and the driver mirror, the wind always shut it when i drive too fast :roll:
and another 11 hours was driven by my friend, who has experience with volkswagen.

and this was the picture of my black bug, in front of my house, after i arrived at home

after take a rest for few hours, i bring my bug to the car wash

schutzstaffel13 Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:00 am

first project i put 80% window film
(at that time, i don't realise how beautiful the bug, if i don't use the window film)

and than i change the front tire. from 185/65 to 165/65 and put a whitewall on it

i change the horn to half moon, and i put the wolfsburg symbol on it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i use my bug for daily driving and there was no problem. until the first time i went to trip to the beach with my community, Volkswagen Club Malang.
on my way to the meeting point before we start the trip together, my bug was in trouble.
the engine still alive, but she can go more that 1500 maybe 2000 rpm.
i think it was the carburerator but it's not.
we shoud start at 8 AM for the trip but because my bug, it delayed 30 minutes
and the problem has been found. it was the liquefier
we start the trip and this is some picture from the trip

after i joined the volkswagen community, slowly i start to understand the different of bug from year to year
and i feel lucky to have this bug, because 1966 bug is included in the rare car in this country. but not as rare as oval / split bug
and i love this bug more than before :)

- to be continued -

Aussiebug Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:29 am

Congratulations.

It's a very tidy looking car - the previous owners have looked after it well.

You have a nice big clean work area to work on it.

Being black, it will be rather hot in your climate :-)

thomas. Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:42 am

Didn't I read on another of your posts that you installed air cond ?
Nice car BTW. My 1st bug was a black '67 sunroof when I was 19.

schutzstaffel13 Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:39 am

thomas. wrote: Didn't I read on another of your posts that you installed air cond ?
Nice car BTW. My 1st bug was a black '67 sunroof when I was 19.

yes, it is. just wait for the story, still to be continued :)

thanks. do you still have it?

Aussiebug wrote: Congratulations.

It's a very tidy looking car - the previous owners have looked after it well.

You have a nice big clean work area to work on it.

Being black, it will be rather hot in your climate :-)

lol. yes it is. it's very hot if i drive my bug in the middle of a day, but i still love it :)

gt1953 Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:34 am

Nice car keep the maintenance on it and enjoy. Cool that it is right hand drive.

schutzstaffel13 Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:42 am

the next project was installed air conditioner and audio

this was the picture when the compresor for air conditioner was installed

and this is my dasboard, using 2 way speakers

1 subwoofer and i put the air conditioner in the back, so the dasboard is looking as the original

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

after that project, i went to contryside with my Volkswagen Club to attend the regional meeting.
i'm very excited and everything looks fine
here's some picture of my trip

with the avocado '69 and tosca '66, and my black '66, three of us well known as three driver who have a heavy foot once we put our foot on the trotle pedal
because we always left another car behind when having a trip :lol: :lol:

this is our community's car in the location

but, on our way back to hometown, when we has a convoy, one bug of our member has a brake problem, the brake was failed n he hit my car from the back :(

i can still drive my bug safely with that condition to my hometown and soon she will get repaired :)

after that, i change my rim from stock to 15 inch radar wheels, remove the white wall
and there it is, it's like a mafia car. Black window tint, Black car, Black wheels

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

another trip.
national volkswagen meeting. the meeting was held in the countryside again
2 hours trip
at this time, i have an idea to make a safety bug
here's the picture of my bug when attended the meeting

and there's some picture of my Volswagen Club Malang when we was on the trip

the comittee has an idea to has a convoy. i don't really know how many cars exactly but maybe it was around 400-500 cars, and all of it come to the city, and i'm sure we made some traffic jam everywhere. LOL

Jogja Volkswagen Festival (maybe some of you heard about it)
another trip, 7 hours trip
there's not much upgrade for my car, it's look the same than before
here's some pict from my trip to Jogja

that's the last meeting that i attended that my bug use the window tint.
after that meeting i remove my windows tint, and she looks more beautiful than before

what do you think? use window tint or not? :)

-to be continued-

schutzstaffel13 Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:07 am

in my country, people always say
"be careful if you play with volkswagen. it's like a poison. once you play with it, it difficult to stop, you'll never statisfied"

and yes!! it happened to me

after all the upgrade, i never statisfied

this is my next project. i clean up my engine. so i don't get shy when i open the hood

it's stopped?
no!!
i has an idea. to make a different than other bug. i want every people look at my car in the street
so i have to playing with the colour
here it's

after the paint work was done
i paint my radar wheels too
because it's too dark if i let the colour black

and i'm not forget to dropped my bug.
not slammed because the road in my country terible. hole n wave everywhere. isn't as good as in the europe or america.

last upgrade was the exhaust. i put this exhaust to my bug

Yeah. for now. that's my final upgrade
is it gonna stop?
i don't think so. i'll keep an update if i got some upgrade for my car :)

here's the last picture of my car. it take 2 weeks ago. when i enter a contest :)

gt1953 Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Wow you all are a nutty about VW's as a lot of us here in the USA!!!
Nice cruises you take.

Tim Donahoe Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Schultz, you have a very nice bug; and the story was very entertaining.

Your English is also quite good. Most Americans only speak English, and many don't do that well.

Keep us updated. But don't make too many changes. The car already looks very cool.

Tim

ThorpS18 Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Very nice schutzstaffel13. Thanks for sharing your story and the pictures.

schutzstaffel13 Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:40 am

gt1953 wrote: Nice car keep the maintenance on it and enjoy. Cool that it is right hand drive.

gt1953 wrote: Wow you all are a nutty about VW's as a lot of us here in the USA!!!
Nice cruises you take.

yeah, Indonesia is a country with right hand drive, so in here RHD car can find anywhere :lol:

yes it is, a lot of people are nutty about VW :)

ThorpS18 wrote: Very nice schutzstaffel13. Thanks for sharing your story and the pictures.

thanks for stopping by n read my story :)

Tim Donahoe wrote: Schultz, you have a very nice bug; and the story was very entertaining.

Your English is also quite good. Most Americans only speak English, and many don't do that well.

Keep us updated. But don't make too many changes. The car already looks very cool.

Tim

thanks man :D
yeah, i dont want to make too many changes that can change her classic appearance.
maybe little upgrade like the shifter
and i want build an 1800cc engine with four carbs, but i still saving my money to build that :)

Volktales Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Glad you are enjoying your Beetle! I spent some time in Asia and know I couldn't survive without that air conditioning not working! Nice to see VW people having fun throughout the world.

Brian Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:55 pm

damn.

schutzstaffel13 Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:13 am

Volktales wrote: Glad you are enjoying your Beetle! I spent some time in Asia and know I couldn't survive without that air conditioning not working! Nice to see VW people having fun throughout the world.

mostly i dont use air conditioning while driving at noon
because i dont use window tint so it's like useless to turn on the air conditioning

schutzstaffel13 Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:16 am

i'm planning to put a anthena

maybe somebody tell me the correct posisition of the anthena if it's RHD car
should i put the anthena in the right or left?

and the posisition
straight up or leaning over the backward?

bluebus86 Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:48 am

great story, nice photos, have fun out there on the islands!!! thanks for sharing

schutzstaffel13 Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:48 pm

some updates from my bug

first, i change my muffer. still the same style
but i change from black one to this stainless muffler

second update is the antenna
i decide to make a hole in her body :( to plug the antenna
and put Ratfink as the antenna ball

2 days ago, i and my club was attended invitation from some college student who has been study German faculty of letters to come to their agenda.
and yesterday, my car was showed up in the 2 city newspapers :D

now, i'm preparing to regional jambore next week. 5 hours trip from my city
wish me luck.
i'll keep you an update :)

schutzstaffel13 Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:37 am

had this little accident last sunday, on my way to church :cry: :cry:
after a pick up in front of me suddenly hit the brakes
and i can't avoid it

now, the hood is in the body repair