TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Weatherize your Bug
Almiscarado Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:03 am

As a recent owner of a 1965 bug, I am facing with a (known to many) problem... I have no garage at my house, only at my fathers.

Because of that, my bug might have to rest outside a lot of time, so I would really appreciate if you could give me some tips on how to weatherize so it wont rust out soon...

Best regards,

Sergio

grandpa pete Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:16 am

Nothing beats a good coat of wax and monthly cleaning....sounds basic but it works
A problem in Florida with the wind :
putting any type of car cover on a winter / long term storage car can cause it's own problems .......The fabric rubbing against the finish can BUFF the paint off !!

I have two carports to keep the sun off mine

WD-40 Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:56 am

Does "outside" mean parking on the street, or do you have a driveway?

If you have a driveway, one of those tube-framed canvas roof carports would work great for keeping the sun/weather off. They're not very expensive.

Almiscarado Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:57 am

Unfortunately, I do not have a driveway... has to be on the streets...

panicman Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:14 am

Deep clean it frequently, inspecting for any water intrusion. Pull out any mats, pull the carpet back, and clean up any dirt; it will hold moisture. Keep It waxed, and quickly touch up any scratches, chips, or paint cracks with touch up paint. Watch the pans and under the fenders for any chips or scratches, and keep those areas clean and touched up. Don't store items in the trunk for long periods, and clean and wax that area too. Replace any aged seals.

Try to drive the car fairly frequently, long enough to get the engine warm and charge the battery.

tb03830 Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Agree with panicman. Clean it, run it and maintain it. I put cover on mine when it sets outside but the rubbing can be an issue. The best thing you can do is to find a friend who has a garage or a barn to stick it in and cover it. My father did that for 15 years and it was fine as long as you keep it out of the wind.