TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 61 bug steering wheel turns full rotation before wheels move
driftman11 Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:42 pm

Hey, I have a 61 bug. the steering wheel turns a full rotation in either direction before the wheels actually turn any at all. I know there is adjustments on the gear box but I was wondering if there is going to be that much adjustment in this box or if you guys think its time for a new box? I do know my left outer tie rod end looks pretty rough but I wasn't thinking itd cause that much slack in steering?!!

grandpa pete Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Look under the gas tank and see if the rubber piece that connects the steering has broken

Where the yellow wire is .

You don't have to remove the gas tank to see if this is the problem ; just take off the drivers side tire to see in.

When you take the gas tank out to fix this consider changing the brake master to a two stage 67
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604177&highlight=upgrade+master+cylinder

67jason Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:10 am

yup - broken steering coupler is the likely culprit. had this happen to me while driving on the freeway. :shock:

panicman Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:59 am

Agreed; if one of the coupler bolts breaks, the steering shaft, or column, will then pivot on the remaining bolt, allowing the steering wheel to turn freely without moving the steering box gears.

Having this happen on the freeway would be terrifying.

glutamodo Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:49 am

I've seen it where the clamp bolts on either side of the coupler disk were loose, and that introduced a large amount of slip - but not a full turn worth! Agreed with the above, look at the coupler and all the mounting hardware.

73sedan Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:46 am

Uh, yeah. Had that happen to me on I-75 middle of the Everglades going to the Pasco show last year. Wiped myself after we came to a stop on the shoulder. Coupler came undone. After taking out the tank on the side of the road (73 SB) and reattaching the coupler we thought about how lucky we were that the brakes grabbed straight and true. We were doing 70mph when steering decided not to respond.