TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: To paint or not to paint...
brently88 Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:48 pm

So I've already gotten a lot of input about other stuff for my recently purchased 68 bay window. Here is the ultimate question of all though.

Do I paint it, or let the original paint that has held up for 46 years stay.

Here's the background on the "White Wizard".

I purchased it from someone who purchased it from a guy named wizard. It had been sitting in the forest for god knows how long collecting moss. When brushed off, a somewhat beautiful almost rust free bus appeared. This bus is quite literally about 2% rust. It turns out it was an import from Europe as a base model. Once over, sundial got their hands on it and installed a camper kit. The kit is in fair condition. All the original parts are still there, it just needs some tlc.
The last motor it had in it was a pinto motor, hence the holes cut in the rear lid for extra ventilation. Theres some minor body damage that needs to be buffed out, but nothing that can't be handled.
My question is, do I repaint and add more value to it? If I do repaint it, should I leave the camper components in to decrease more damage being done and just paint the outside? Or do I leave it as is with some gnarly character?

Here's some pics for you guys to peek at and see what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nb58jyfpzhapcc2/AACTWAnS2dkAIbXcT-7tBktva?dl=0

Cheers!

Sage79 Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:20 am

I'd vote for a good cleaning, repairing damage and running as-is. There's a great history with that bus. (and get rid of those tail lights!!)

Jeff Geisen Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:24 am

Since you ask, I agree with Dirk; if I were in your position with the bus, I would do all the mechanical tasks first like brake work, fuel lines, check the clutch and rear main seal, c/v joints/boots, engine tune... things like that. I would give it a good cleaning inside and out and get it on the road as a first priority. Those tail lights really are heinous.

My 2 cents.

Wasted youth Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:46 am

I am not a fan of so-called...patina. :lol: People go to the trouble of accurately reconditioning mechanical and electrical components. They spend so much effort building threads on how they made some part beautiful again, just like the Germans made it.

They spend hours online arguing about how many types of oil or tires to use. Then they move on to spending thousands on upholstery, headliner work and other such stuff.

Then they clear coat rust. :?

Painting is a lot of work, and very expensive. Probably two thirds of the cost of a good repaint is labor.... Maybe more.

Had I not sold my last bus, I would be ass deep in it preconditioning my hands for arthritis prepping for paint. I can't wait to see my 1973 bus bask in the California sun radiating it's color-matched Orient Blue fresh repaint.

I don't need to see rust, dents and scratches to know I am looking at something vintage, with a lifetime of stories to tell. I already know that just seeing something I grew up with rolling by tasteless Toyotas.

So my vote is for you to do solid prep work with a quality paint job.

skills@eurocarsplus Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:13 am

If you are going to paint it, do it right. Strip the bus 100% naked and have at it. Otherwise, leave it.

I have more respect for a clean survivor vs a shitty repaint. One of my pet peeves is a bad repaint with crappy door jambs....I don't care how nice the car was, bad jambs just make it look cheap and the owner doesn't care

aeromech Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:59 am

Yes, but a year or two from now.

udidwht Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:04 pm

aeromech wrote: Yes, but a year or two from now.

Agreed...way to many paint shops out there that don't want to spend the time on an old bus. And even if you find one who'll accept to do it you have to literally stand by while they do it to be absolutely certain they're doing a decent job.

Otherwise...you end up with a crappy looking paint job a few years later. Or worse a few months later :(

matt94gt Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:01 pm

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: If you are going to paint it, do it right. Strip the bus 100% naked and have at it. Otherwise, leave it.

I have more respect for a clean survivor vs a shitty repaint. One of my pet peeves is a bad repaint with crappy door jambs....I don't care how nice the car was, bad jambs just make it look cheap and the owner doesn't care

X2

brently88 Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:25 am

decided to strip down the entire bus and paint it inside and out. I saved as much of the camping components as possible and plan on refurbishing them with new wood skins. Got all the dings and dents out, used body filler, primered it up, and welded in some taillights.
I chose to go through projectvw, a shop out of eagle creek Oregon that specializes in VW restos. They also make the hurst bumpers that you can find in the classifieds on samba. Definitely wasn't cheap, but their end products look amazing! Can't wait to see the two toned green and white wizard when it's done.
Here's some up to date pics

airschooled Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:29 pm

brently88 wrote: decided to strip down the entire bus and paint it inside and out.

That phrase and those pictures don't go together; why are the door handles masked off?? The sliding door and rear cargo door are ONE SCREW removals! The passenger and driver door handles are TWO SCREWS! Plus the engine compartment hinges come off with a few more screws inside the compartment. I understand you're keeping the doors on for transit, but why mask them off? Or are you not stripping down the entire bus?

rshepard10 Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:05 pm

He might have masked them off when he was doing the sanding/body work? maybe? it would have been easier to take them off :?

eche_bus Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:15 pm

I'll join the chorus to support total removal of handles, etc. The bozo that painted our bus for a previous owner masked everything off rather than taking the few minutes to remove things. I curse him often.

Please be pound wise and penny foolish, not the other way around. :wink: Removing parts before painting pays off big-time.

brently88 Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:57 pm

All is well folks. I kept the handles on so that I could open and close the doors while I was doing the body work. The people painting the van removed them before putting their final touches on. More pictures will be posted soon, the paint will start going on thursday. These guys are all about making VDubs look good. The door handles, and areas paint will be on under them will be ok people haha.