TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My Blue 67 Project Bug Restoration
IsaiahSTanley Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Here is my first VW, a 67 bug that was originally java green. I bought the bug about a week ago from a really honest guy who had done a lot of work to the pan and put a new engine in her about a year ago. Now I am tasked with getting her back in running shape and back to stock. 8)

Project_dog Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:41 am

What a great start. Congrats man. I also have a 1967 Beetle.

vwnut1 Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Lookin' good, great car to start with. I just picked up a '64 myself so I can relate to all of the work (and money) ahead of you.

vwnut1 Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Lookin' good, great car to start with. I just picked up a '64 myself so I can relate to all of the work (and money) ahead of you.

IsaiahSTanley Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:45 pm

vwnut1 wrote: Lookin' good, great car to start with. I just picked up a '64 myself so I can relate to all of the work (and money) ahead of you.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks and yes there will be much blood, sweat, and cash in this restoration 8)

IsaiahSTanley Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:05 pm

Finally an update. I have been extremely busy and havent been able to post the work I have done. Heres what I have done so far:

I bought a radio and it is completely functional :D

I still need to find an original rear mounting bracket and adjustment knobs, but looking good for now

IsaiahSTanley Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:42 pm

My car didn't have any seatbelts when I bought her, even though I drove her home :? . I bought some that came with sun visors as well. I have installed the right side selt on the drivers side while I fix the drivers belt.

IsaiahSTanley Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:44 pm

OG VDO speedo nut ready to be installed :)

IsaiahSTanley Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Coming in the future: restoration of this original 67 radio speaker

IsaiahSTanley Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:05 pm

This is the proress so far on my pedal assembly. I dont have any pictures of the final product, but I can explain what I did:
The first picture shows the pedal assembly leaning way too far forward. i got some shots of the pedal stop (thanks to the forum folks for helping find the cause of the issue) and obviously there was a problem witht this part of the pan. Upon removing the plate, I found that this part of the pan had broken and had quite a bit of surface rust that had not been taken care of. I took the pedal assembly off and wire brushed the surface rust off, repainted the pedal stop, and bought some hardware to temporarily hold the pan together. After replacing everything back in, its looking pretty good. I still have some adjusting to do, so more updates on this coming :)

IsaiahSTanley Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:10 pm

A neighbor of mine bought a 67 and had some extra parts, so picked up this OG washer bottle from him. Now all I need to do is get my wiper motor working (in progress) and hook everything up.

IsaiahSTanley Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Carb Rebuild Time! Well sort of. My engine was sputtering and when it would finallly idle, would not have enough gas flow to get out of first after ten minutes of running. So I took the carb off and did an express carb rebuild, following Classic VW Bug's Chris Vallone's tips (Check out his youtube page or website for cool VW stuff). Here are some pics of the process.

It begins!

Look at all that gunk. My friend and I were surprised she even ran with all the crap in there. GUNK's carb cleaner came in handy here.

Looking A LOT better now. After getting the base gunk out. I took all the jets out and sprayed carb cleaner through them.

After getting everything cleaned out, I put everything back together and put the carb back on. I am hoping to get her started up again as soon as I am back home from vacation.

IsaiahSTanley Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:58 pm

Final Update til I'm back from vacation:
I took the left running board off to see if anyhting need to be done to the body there, and thankfully there is only minor surface run in a couple spots. :) I will have to do quite a bit of bodywork on my fenders in order to get them looking good again.

running board off!

that minor surface rust

a great view of the OG java green paint. cant wait to get the whole car looking like that 8)

I also did some of my first paint removal on the car. I took some GOOF OFF graffitti remover and sprayed it on the speaker grille. Heres the process.

the GOOF OFF. SOme people reccommend motsenbockers remover, but this is what I had acess to and found it to be very effective at removing the paint. The only warning I have is to not rub on one are too much because you may pick up some of the OG paint. Other than that the spray can completely dry and still save the original paint.

Here is the first or second spray of the GOOF OFF. Here I was testing application times to get the most effective removal of paint per spray layer.

Here is a few more sprays in. The paint is coming off nicely at this point.

Here is the final product that I have so far. Nearly all of the top layers have been taken off and most of the metal showing is from a previous attempt to take the paint off. I found it is best to let the GOOF OFF sit for about 5 minutes, but that changes depending on your climate. The best advice I can give so far is to begin scraping or wiping off when the top layers of paint begin to bubble or come off, but before the GOOF OFF has dried completely. Just my two cents, but this stuff works great and I cant wait to use it on the rest of the car.

NewVWFan Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Nice to see you got the 67 seat belts. They are hard to find in decent condition.

grandpa pete Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Before you start rebuilding that speaker you should know they are available new for $8....Wolfsburg west

IsaiahSTanley Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:09 pm

NewVWFan wrote: Nice to see you got the 67 seat belts. They are hard to find in decent condition.
Yeah I was really happy about getting the originals.

IsaiahSTanley Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:10 pm

grandpa pete wrote: Before you start rebuilding that speaker you should know they are available new for $8....Wolfsburg west
Thanks for reminding me about that. I willbe buying a speaker from wolfsburg, but eventually I will be putting all NOS or OEM into the car