TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New Westy!!
ripple_bc Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:31 am

81 westy. Just hauled her home last night. Getting ready to work out some bugs. I've been driving busses as long as I can remember but this is my first Vanagon and fist time with fuel injecton. First problem... She'll start up every time but won't stay running unless I give it gas. Anyone got any ideas? It's got gas in it and the fuel pump seems ok.

BavarianWrench Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:48 am

Check for vacuum leaks
I like that color
good luck with the Vanagon and welcome

ripple_bc Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Ok I changed all the small vacuum lines and checked out the larger ones. Seems to be running a little longer but still dies. While I was at it I pulled the intake boot off after seeing some ominous silicone. While I don't see any cracks on the inside it appears that at one point someone tried to repair it. I'm gonna try to order a new one tonight. I also noticed a switch or lever on the intake that's not hooked up to anything. I also can't find this in my Haynes manual. Can someone tell me what this is?[/img]

tam_shops Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Congratulations!

Sorry, I know nothing about the mechanics of these, only time mine stalled is when it needed a new Oxygen Sensor. Best of luck!

tam

0to60in6min Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:51 pm

NICE ! ! and Congrats..

now put your wallet under something heavy like the fridge or a big anvil and learn to fix it yourself...

:D

rubbachicken Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:46 am

congrats 8)

or just give it to your wife :lol: it works too well here :cry: :D

0to60in6min wrote: NICE ! ! and Congrats..

now put your wallet under something heavy like the fridge or a big anvil and learn to fix it yourself...

:D

Wildthings Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:50 pm

If you have a big hose off like the vacuum assist hose for the brakes it will do this. Look one more time for a missing hose.

Also if the points in the AFM are open at idle the fuel pump will quit running as soon as you let off on the key and the engine will die moments later. Simple adjustment here.

raoul mitgong Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:36 pm

Try changing your fuel filter(s). Cheap part to throw at it. Also check your spray pattern on the injectors, might need a cleaning. Rusty gas tanks are common.
-d

vanagonjr Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:04 pm

Welcome. Now it is time to change your rule lines
http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm