TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: front beam inner bushing question?
scrave Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:28 pm

just got a new narrowed beam and got all the way to putting on spindals and noticed a top trailing arm wobbled a bit so after pulling it out i realized i had to tap it in with a rubber mallet to get it in. didn't think i hit it that hard but it slid the bushing in. was gonna try and tap it back out with the adjuster but was wondering how far in they need to be? the other side measured 5 and a half inch's from outer end of bushing to end of beam. does 5 1/2 sound right? oh it's for a 67 bug.

Northof49 Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:23 pm

On mine there were dimples in the tube at the point they want to stop it moving in further. You can also take measurements off the control arm itself to see where it rides on it. Practical tolerance for positioning is not that exact.

scrave Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:35 pm

yea i thought maybe that the case, there alot of space at the end of the arms still, never played with these and just want to be sure,
thanks for the input.

ThingBeast Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Scarve, if you are using the red polyurethane bushings, stop right there. Go to SACO Performance and order yourself a set of the white Delrin bushings, you won't regret it. The red ones are especially meant for sand rails with light front ends, not bugs with some weight especially with the gas tank resting right above the beam. They aren't that much more expensive but will last much longer. The control arms won't sag in time but stay true when inserted. I did it to my 61 Bug with a 4" narrowed & adjustable beam, turned out perfect. Just my 2 cents worth.

scrave Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:37 am

thanks for the input thing beast i'll check those out.