TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1986 Westy
hogan029 Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:44 pm

So.. I just picked one of these babies up on a whim.. I got a really good deal on this unit but it has a blown engine. I am looking on some suggestions to get this baby back on the road.. I think at this point, it is beyond the point where I can do a rebuild as it appears the engine block has a hole in it.

Is there a good chance that the transmission is blown as well. Apparently the last driver forgot to change gears and had the engine redlined for quite sometime and then it blew on him.

here is a photo

Any thoughts?

Ryan

fleet_maintenance Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:16 pm

My thought is that "forgot to change gears" is a euphanism for "didn't pull over when the rattling started and the buzzer was going off.

Good luck.

ThankYouJerry Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:23 pm

hogan029 wrote: ...Any thoughts?

1.8T :D

Wildthings Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:28 pm

A lot of WBXer engines get pulled by outfits doing conversions. Be patient and find a good one.

Vanagon Nut Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:51 pm

The transmission may well be fine.

If the heads and cooling system parts on/near the engine are ok, rebuilding the engine may be an option. Or a used engine.

edited.

Neil.

djkeev Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:57 am

1986 with a 2.1 WBX engine .........

That unit threw a rod my friend, there's no fixing that without some major part replacement.
Not uncommon on a higher mileage 2.1.

Consider a used unit or explore transplant options. VW diesel, subaru and ford Zetec seem to be the current popular three options.

Tell us where you are located, giving us that information helps us help you.

Dave

hogan029 Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:32 pm

That's what I thought. Couldn't turn down the offer as it didn't cost me all that much for this thing. I am in Calgary Alberta. Can anyone reccomend a place to look for a new 2.1 engine or know what would be the appropriate asking price for one of these?

?Waldo? Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:55 pm

There is a good chance the trans is fine and a good chance it isn't. The extended high revs wouldn't hurt the trans, but it was very likely in gear and rolling down the road when it tossed the rod which would have stopped the engine from spinning and in turn locked the trans which would have locked up the tires with all the force of the locked up tires going through the trans. I bought one van that had a tossed rod with a low mileage trans and the lockup damaged the trans.

ThankYouJerry Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:29 am

hogan029 wrote: That's what I thought. Couldn't turn down the offer as it didn't cost me all that much for this thing. I am in Calgary Alberta. Can anyone reccomend a place to look for a new 2.1 engine or know what would be the appropriate asking price for one of these?

2.1 engines range from about:

1. $500 in used but running condition (usually when someone is doing a conversion).

2. Up to about $8000 for a top of the line 2.2 rebuilt from the ground up including many upgraded ancillary parts (throttle body, etc.).

Some of the best rebuilt WBX engines come from well respected Samba members Chris Corkins (Tencentlife) and Rocky Jennings. Both builders have excellent reputations for: power, reliability, and customer service.

GoWesty also sells rebuilt WBX engines. From what I've read here on The Samba, the GW engines are fairly decent up to about 2.3L. Beyond that, there have been some reliability/longevity issues.

hogan029 Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:01 am

Andrew A. Libby wrote: There is a good chance the trans is fine and a good chance it isn't. The extended high revs wouldn't hurt the trans, but it was very likely in gear and rolling down the road when it tossed the rod which would have stopped the engine from spinning and in turn locked the trans which would have locked up the tires with all the force of the locked up tires going through the trans. I bought one van that had a tossed rod with a low mileage trans and the lockup damaged the trans.

I was able to speak to the last owner. He stated to me that the tires did not lock up when he blew the rod. He stayed that he just took it out of gear and came slowly to a stop. I am going to have to take a look at what I need to get done.

Ahwahnee Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:23 am

hogan029 wrote: ...Couldn't turn down the offer as it didn't cost me all that much...

Isn't that how heroin users get started? Welcome to our addiction.

bluefirefly Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:17 am

You could try here:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-access...nFlag=true

Don't know them, never deal with them....
When it happened to me, I went for an engine conversion.....

JudoJeff Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:50 am

Avoid GEX engines, slick webpage, junk products.

hogan029 Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:54 pm

Awesome. Thanks for all this great info!

bluefirefly Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:42 am

So, did you find anything yet?

bluefirefly Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:39 am

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-engine-parts/ca...nFlag=true

Here is a engine for you!

Don't know the person or anything, just passing a link.