TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: towing a kombi
RestoKäfer Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:24 am

Hello tomorrow im off to get a unforseen kombi.I will have to tow on a car trailer.Any help on this loading please,put it on forward or backwards?,where to secure ,things like this please.Thankyou

[email protected] Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:13 am

If it is a full trailer not a dolly it makes no difference wether loaded forward or backward. However it is easier to get it on.

Tie each axle separately, I would safety chain at least two diagonally opposing wheels, in addition to the tie straps, all 4 if you have the chain.

Just by asking the questions sounds like you havn't towed much. So remember you stopping distance is now measured in rugby pitches not meters. Don't worry about keeping pace with traffic worry about safety.
Go really wide around corners.

Does it roll, so maybe there is hope of getting it on the trailer, maybe you need a big come along, poor man's winch.

RestoKäfer Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:22 am

The bloke said it runs,is a piece of sh##,and has parts from ahole to breakfast,and thinks its a 60s.I normally have my father to help,but hes away so I go alone

busdaddy Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:42 am

If the bus has an engine in it you'll be better off loading it butt first, you need more weight ahead of the wheels on the trailer or it'll tow funny and be hard or even impossible to control in some situations.

Wildthings Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:18 am

I sold a non runner which a very experienced car hauler picked up using a dolly. Because it was an automatic, he put the rear wheels on the dolly and then headed out. I got a call a few minutes later asking if I would come give him a hand and bring come-a-longs, blocks, and such as he had found it too unstable to tow. We got it turned around and he took off again not caring at this point that he was going to fry the automatic.

busdaddy Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:23 am

Dolly's tow differently than trailers.

RestoKäfer Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Thanks for the replies,didnt get it yesterday,off today,to get it home.Im hoping its a splitty

Ian Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:31 pm

If the engine is in the van, I like to load em up backwards so most of the weight is towards the hitch. They bounce around kinda funny sometimes the other way.

RestoKäfer Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:10 pm

got it home,shes a low light,lots of rust ang pretty cool

Brian Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:33 pm

RestoKäfer wrote: pretty cool

All that matters.

Tcash Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:34 am

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums