TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Throw out bearing
JCS Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:19 am

I am moving an engine from swing axel transmission to an IRS tranny. When I got it put together and started the engine I noticed a high pitched squeal when I let out on the clutch. I did not let it go and have quickly dropped the engine out. The throw out bearing on the IRS tranny has a "sleeve" inside it that sticks out beyond the bearing surface. That sleeve was ground shiney like the pressure plate "ring" was rubbing it instead of making direct contact with the throw out. What am I missing here??? I guess they do not match up so I needed to change what?

Any help would be great. Thanks !

60ragtop Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:35 am

read this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148307

JCS Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:52 am

Can I just get an older style throw out baring and mount it to the later tranny? Or do I have to get a later style pressure plate?

60ragtop Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:55 am

everything needs to match, TO bearing, x shaft, pressure plate as stated in the referenced thread. Did you read thru it?

Luft kühl Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:00 am

JCS wrote: Can I just get an older style throw out baring and mount it to the later tranny? Or do I have to get a later style pressure plate?

You do not need to get anything. Remove the centering ring from the pressure plate and reinstall the engine.

SuperSamba Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Please use the thread above.