TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: stranded in lloydminister
steek Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:30 am

Hey guys was hoping i could get some help getting pointed in the right direction.

I have fuel injected 76 that used to purr like a kitten but now runs really rough, got 1900 km to go to get home and I gotta wait a week to get paid, so was hoping some tinkering around might help till I can get it looked at.

So about a week ago I noticed that it was really slow accelerating out of a stop, could floor it but no more power was happening till 1500 rpm or so. PO installed a tach at some point and it was working good until I started having issues now the needle is all over the place. Battery light was staying on for quite a while to but I charged the battery and the light behaves normally again.

Now after it warms up it will be a really rough idle and die. Will back fire once it starts dying. At higher revs like 2500 3000 rpm the engine is pretty stable but it misses once a while

I did increase the idle with the screw on the throttle body to limp it to a parking spot

I changed the fuel filter and have been cleaning dirty wires but I forgot the Bentley at home! Have the Clymer and Haynes manuals though.

I'm stumped and while I'm not afraid to play mechanic it is not my strong suit.

What should I do next?

1967250s Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:43 am

Sounds like the points are done, because of the tach bounce. Clean, adjust gap or replace. Wouldn't hurt to clean the plugs, either.

1967250s Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:44 am

Sounds like the points are done, because of the tach bounce. Clean, adjust gap or replace. Wouldn't hurt to clean the plugs, either. Easy stuff first, eh?

steek Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:45 am

New points 3 weeks ago but 2000 km plugs were fine then

Wildthings Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:21 am

steek wrote: New points 3 weeks ago but 2000 km plugs were fine then

New points, then that is probably your problem. Maybe the adjustment slipped or the wear block broke off. Did you lube them? Sadly I no longer buy or recommend Bosch points, they ain't what they used to be.

steek Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Yup worn points gapped and she's purring away thanks guys.

Gonna order in some points what brand should I go with? Might as well get a condenser too eh?

Wildthings Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Don't know if they have Echlin stuff on your side of the line or not. Was buying the Blue Streak points for a while, but they disappeared so now it is Echlin. Haven't heard anything bad about Bosch condensers as of yet.

Make sure you use some lube on the cam and wear block, either some special points lube or some dielectric grease.

steek Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:09 am

Hey guys another issue my clutch cable snapped!

I have a spare cable but my wing nut was stripped thanks PO.

No hardware store in town has a nut that will work was wondering if there's another nut on the bus I can steal for now to get going?

Tom Powell Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 am

steek wrote: Hey guys another issue my clutch cable snapped!

No hardware store in town has a nut that will work was wondering if there's another nut on the bus I can steal for now to get going?

For very short term repair you should be able to use washers, a metric hex nut, and an end wrench. A pair of vise grips might work in lieu of the wing nut or metric hex nut. You can drive without a clutch cable with the proper techniques.

Aloha
tp

obnoxiousblue Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 am

FWIW, I had very similar issues with hesitation when my tach went on the fritz and was shorting out the coil.

Tcash Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 am

steek wrote: Hey guys another issue my clutch cable snapped!

It is a M7x1.00.

Wildthings Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:35 am

You should be able to cob something up with cable clamps, threaded rod, and nuts and washers to match the threaded rod.