TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 67 rear apron question
djweaz Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Bought a 67 beetle missing rear apron and bottom engine trim. Every place I look for new ones they stop at 66 and start back with 68. In the classifieds I see many that say 67 only while others say 58-67. I don't know which to buy, and don't want to buy one that absolutley won't work on my bug. Also I have seen some people say a dash needs cut to put a stereo in it. Does it need cut for it to fit?

60ragtop Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:37 pm

67 apron is one year only
you need to read thru this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187814
Dash cut depends on the size of unit.

VOLKSWAGNUT Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:53 pm

True 67 rear apron is a bastard year.. just as important.. the decklid is a bastard too! :lol:
Used only..

You can use any year decklid with its corresponding year apron...

What decklid do you have... ?

If the head unit (was)..... is... a flat face 80's/ 90's and up.... yep.. gotta slice the dash to make it fit..

Plenty of decent radios out there that fit without cutting

djweaz Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:23 pm

I think I'm doing this properly

Still the factory 67 rear lid. Ithink they pulled the apron to make pulling the engine easier and/or to fit this ugly exhaust pipe. I want to getrid of it and replace the parts needed so it looks proper

If I have to cut the dash for a radio I will just mount it under the dash just needs to be in the car really because I am just going to use the bluetooth from my phone anyway

Rome Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:32 pm

If the stereo you are interested in has a "DIN-spec" size, this means the face will fit into the Beetle dash opening without cutting. DIN stands for the German words for German industry standard, and was applied to all German-built cars in the 60's and '70's AFAIK. An older stereo from a Mercedes with the DIN-spec size should also fit right into your Beetle. Modern stereos benefit from smaller internal parts so that it should be easy to find one for aftermarket applications to get into that opening.

And good for you to pursue the correct '67 apron to match the engine lid you already have. You might find that with the apron installed, you can still fit the header and muffler, but it might have to come off (the header/muffler) if you take the engine out. The system appears like a Kadron one, with its peculiar 2-bolt diamond-shaped attachment flange on the header. Enlarging the photo you can see the "...ron" on the muffler... The muffler does look to be very close to the header's lower right pipe so that it could interfere with the bottom of the stock apron.

VOLKSWAGNUT Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Find a used 67 apron...

Glove box radio... and done... :wink:

djweaz Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Looks like a sick spider. I would like to go at least somewhat stock, I have heard that a stock system is a bottleneck to an already under powered engine. Not that power means anything on the car to me, if I want power I'll walk over to my big block 454 Chevelle and get the power needed

elryano Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:36 pm

I knowof a very nice 67 only rear apron. If your interested.

elryano Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:37 pm

I knowof a very nice 67 only rear apron. If your interested.

57BLITZ Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:27 pm

djweaz wrote: I don't know which to buy, and don't want to buy one that absolutley won't work on my bug.

Buy one that looks exactly like this one . . . note the oval hole!

Photo from the gallery of Samba member Nathan Miller

djweaz Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks I will keep an eye out for that style. Too many enthusiast can spot something not right and I don't want to be the one that they are talking about.

VOLKSWAGNUT Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:50 am

djweaz wrote: Too many enthusiast can spot something not right and I don't want to be the one that they are talking about.

Pfffffff.. Thats why I now carry this.. :wink:

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

They are Urban Legends to most.... 8-[

Unknown official location... Not really sure where now.. YOU NEVER KNOW.... thats their stength.. .. they seem to keep to the shadows.. THAT IS UNTIL a 1967 Beetle rolls in a VW event.. then its like beating off mosquito's.

I've managed to dodge most of them for at least 30 + years now..
The main posse rarely if ever head over to the Rust Coast.. but there are some found on every continent and every shore. :lol:
I doubt Ill out last them all.. Im sure one will get me eventually

I have crossed pathes with a few in my short life though..

Just in case... Im always ready...

I lucked up around the late 70's early 80's and found a case of this spray (see below)
It has an usual awful scent mixture thats hard to describe..
Kinda like a Callery Pear Tree pollinating in the spring and wet metal rusting.
It works well for its labeled intended purpose... :lol:

bill may Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:50 am

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: djweaz wrote: Too many enthusiast can spot something not right and I don't want to be the one that they are talking about.

Pfffffff.. Thats why I now carry this.. :wink:

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

They are Urban Legends to most.... 8-[

Unknown official location... Not really sure where now.. YOU NEVER KNOW.... thats their stength.. .. they seem to keep to the shadows.. THAT IS UNTIL a 1967 Beetle rolls in a VW event.. then its like beating off mosquito's.

I've managed to dodge most of them for at least 30 + years now..
The main posse rarely if ever head over to the Rust Coast.. but there are some found on every continent and every shore. :lol:
I doubt Ill out last them all.. Im sure one will get me eventually

I have crossed pathes with a few in my short life though..

Just in case... Im always ready...

I lucked up around the late 70's early 80's and found a case of this spray (see below)
It has an usual awful scent mixture thats hard to describe..
Kinda like a Callery Pear Tree pollinating in the spring and wet metal rusting.
It works well for its labeled intended purpose... :lol:

that is hilarious!!!

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:59 am

bill may wrote:
that is hilarious!!!

Sound the alarms..
Alert ALERT!!!!... ... throw a cover on and hide your incorrect location horn grille aftermarket front fenders.. fast
One is one the radar now...... :lol:

Nice of ya to drop by bill.. :wink: and glad you can find the humor in it...

Danpa Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:25 am

57BLITZ wrote: djweaz wrote: I don't know which to buy, and don't want to buy one that absolutley won't work on my bug.

Buy one that looks exactly like this one . . . note the oval hole!

Photo from the gallery of Samba member Nathan Miller

Is the distance from the seal lip to the bottom of the apron different than that of a 68 and later?

Dan

VOLKSWAGNUT Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:24 am

Danpa wrote: [
Is the distance from the seal lip to the bottom of the apron different than that of a 68 and later?

Dan

Oh yeah!.

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: The 1967 one year only lid is a little longer at the bottom, but its basically the same shape as a 68 and newer.

You will also notice the license light and license plate are both moved up in 1968, as the lid shrunk, and the apron grew....

Best when compared side by side.. or at least near each other..

1967 Sedan

1968 Sedan

bill may Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:10 pm

djweaz wrote: Looks like a sick spider. I would like to go at least somewhat stock, I have heard that a stock system is a bottleneck to an already under powered engine. Not that power means anything on the car to me, if I want power I'll walk over to my big block 454 Chevelle and get the power needed

behind pulley is a dual port pulley tin. if not changed out you will need dual port rear engine tine = 2 holes for tube to heater box and 1 same huge hole on passenger side for preheat tube for air cleaner.