TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help with a starting mystery - 91 full camper
fmhans Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:35 pm

Ok, I hate to ask for help but I am at the end of my rope...

I have a 91 full camper, that for no reason at all will refuse to start for an undetermined amount of time, it could be 1 minute, 30 minutes, or two days, or it may just start fine for each attempt on a weekend trip. It all started this spring...

I turn the key, hear the fuel pump, turn it to crank, hear the fuel pump but no cranking or clicking... the same thing happens when I connect a switch directly to the solenoid.

I say to myself:
... boy am I glad I got that ignition switch that I never installed...
... I think I will put in a new starter
... new battery
... another new starter
No Joy. Still happening.

I put a volt meter on the battery, and turn the switch, and I do see a huge loss of voltage - any ideas where I should look next?

Directional ideas appreciated... this van has been great since I got past the first day of ownership (broke down in Ontario when driving it home...) and I really love it, but not being able to trust it is not ok.

Thanks,

rubbachicken Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:47 pm

look at the ground wires, one on the transmission and the other on the cylinder head on the drivers side, if they look even slightly suspect, replace them.
autozone or similar $6 to $12

dobryan Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:56 pm

Also check the ground strap at the battery itself. Often the connection to the body (requires removing the battery to see it) gets corroded and needs to be addressed.

kamzcab86 Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:59 pm

fmhans wrote: I turn the key, hear the fuel pump, turn it to crank, hear the fuel pump but no cranking or clicking...

Is your van an automatic? If so, put it in neutral and try to start it (or pull the shifter cover off and bridge the two red wires; be sure the shifter is in park or neutral when starting). If it starts every time, there's an issue with the stupid park-neutral switch.

candyman Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:26 pm

I second third and fourth grounds. Great place to start... Then clean all the connections to the starter. Double check the solenoid is tight. Believe or not those can come loose, its held on by a few screws and if they become loose then no start city. Had it happen to my old syncro once, took me forever to figure it out

fmhans Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:49 pm

It is an Automatic. The grounds are good and the safety neutral / park switch has been bypassed.

Keep the suggestions coming

Merian Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:57 pm

does it happen only when the engine is warm? or 1st thing in t he morning also?

rubbachicken Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:06 pm

look at the main power cable from the battery to the starter.

gears Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:25 pm

I had similar issues with my '90 Syncro .. phantom starter issues 1-2% of the time. After installing (and experiencing) a TDI starter, I'm pretty confident all starter issues are behind me.

the joker Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:32 pm

Install a hard start relay

Had the same problem that solved it , when you install it do some stater /
ground maintenance

fmhans Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:32 pm

I will check the hot starter wire next.

It happens at any time - cold or after driving 20 miles and stopping for gas... It is really random.

fmhans Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:37 pm

What is a hard start relay? I found a 115 v one for a compressor but that made no sense for this issue.

Tobias Duncan Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:45 pm

fmhans wrote: What is a hard start relay? I found a 115 v one for a compressor but that made no sense for this issue.

That is a relay made by a member here.
If your automatic has cruise control ,it won't work for you.

I had the exact same symptoms on my automatic and it turned out to be the ground strap to the transmission.

16CVs Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Mine was a Bad ground strap as well. looked OK until I pulled it and the loop came right off of the braided cable.
Seemed to have cured my issue, but because I always want the best I replaced the starter with a diesel unit and a hot start relay kit. Now it really starts quickly .

Stacy

the joker Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:21 pm

You can use a hard start relay on any engine model

Available at all the vw vendors got my from bus depot