TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cooling System Pressurization Pump Kit
nevadaesh Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:25 pm

From GW, has anyone used this? Good? Bad? Ugly?

geo_tonz Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:08 pm

Well a pressure pump made bleeding the cooling system dead easy after I stressed and fretted jacking up either end and revving the engine to unsuccessfully bleed. It also helped me track down a weepy hose junction. I've been on the lookout for a kit (borrowed my neighbour's for my bleed job) but most are much more $ with a bunch of adapters you don't need, and probably not the right one.

For that price I can't see how you'd go wrong unless it's a total hunk of garbage, which I don't think (hope) GW would try and hawk.

Added to my GW wishlist. Thanks, or damn you...not sure which.

geo_tonz Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Wait a sec...is it just a bike pump with a valve stem? On second though I think I'll just get a bike pump with a gauge on it locally and save shipping! Or maybe even just get a valve stem and (carefully) use my compressor. Didn't think of that before!

syncrodoka Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:43 pm

I have been using my Motive brake bleeder for that function for years. It is dead easy and I already have the tool so it just serves another function.

If you don't have a tool like that, do you have a bike pump sitting around?

20 PSI is the max that you want to put into the system

msinabottle Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:46 pm

I built my own. I use the same gadget--after a rather thorough cleaning--to bleed my coolant system, and my brakes. Have a look at this:

and THIS:

and... THIS:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1135773&highlight=#1135773

and...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3760952

I've since replaced ALL the plastic hose with the vinyl and sealed the fitting to the pressure sprayer's tank with sealant.

Not to knock GoWesty, but this thing works pretty well on its own for more than one use. That's not a bad price, though. Mine's just useful in more ways.

Best!