TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Surges / Stumbling - runs better with choke on
Almiscarado Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi there,
another day another problem, maybe you can help me out on this one:

- Big storm today, lots of rain but temperature is hot.
- Engine did not start easily and while running there were surges and random stumbling.
- My plastic transparent fuel filter seems empty. First time I installed it, it was kind of half full, but now looks really empty.
- Managed to keep a (more or less) steady idle.
- Engine runs much better if choke is half on. Now let me explain it: when the previous owner converted to 12v, he took off the automatic choke and installed a cable, so I have a manual choke that I can work from the inside, near the heater controls.
I am used to manual chokes from my motorcycles, so no big problem.

What I am thinking is that, I might be having low fuel flow problems, since choke decreases air flow, and that might be the reason why the engine reacts well to this, am I thinking well?

If anyone can help me identify and resolve this problem on my daily driver bug, I would be (once again) very appreciated.

Best regards,

Sergio

Almiscarado Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention I have a fuel check valve (1965). Should i remove it?

Max Welton Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:14 pm

"Runs better with the choke on" sounds like an intake (air) leak that makes the mixture very lean except when the choke drives the mixture back in the rich direction.

Max

Joel Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:08 pm

And if its not an air leak it is classic blocked idle jet symptoms.

WD-40 Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:13 pm

x2 for Max and Joel's posts.

Almiscarado Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Today I took of all spark plugs and they looked like this:

The thing is: am I running too rich? The mixture adjustment is enough to control this kind of problem?

Best,

Sergio