TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help fixing oil leak 1980 air cooled
cameronhoule Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Tried searching but kind of limited searching from my phone. Just had the top half of my van rebuilt. Have this little oil leak. Easy fix? First van so I'm learning. Any help would be awesome Thanks! [img][/img]

82WestyMan Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:49 pm

That appears to be the Oil Pressure Relief Valve
Did a quick Google search and found this (with a nice video)
http://www.vwbusblog.com/2011/05/fixing-a-leaky-oil-pressure-relief-valve.html
Hope that helps if that's what actually leaking but since it's on the bottom of the engine, the actual leak could be coming from somewhere higher up on the case

?Waldo? Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:09 pm

It looks like it's wet at the pressure relief valve... and everywhere above it... Honestly, the easiest way to fix an air-cooled vanagon so it does not leak oil is to do an engine conversion.

midmo81 Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:20 pm

That low spot can collect leaks from oil cooler seals, or leaky main seal. Time to clean things up and get out the flashlight.

Macwesty Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:25 pm

Andrew A. Libby wrote: It looks like it's wet at the pressure relief valve... and everywhere above it... Honestly, the easiest way to fix an air-cooled vanagon so it does not leak oil is to do an engine conversion.

Booooo! Cheap shot. Hope they like leaking oil AND coolant after the conversion. ;-)

obieoberstar Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:35 pm

not too sure how easy it is to remove the fan housing on a vanagon,but with it off it will give you a good look at oil cooler seals, crank seal and oil filter seal. you could even run it for a short time to watch for oil leaks.

i would hold off on cleaning anything up if you plan to remove the housing. it will give you a good indication as to the source of the leak. oil leaks down, not up. start with the sources at the top.

the joker Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:36 pm

Just fix a similar leak

Was dripping down to the relief , but was really the dizzy o ring

Any oil pooling on the top of the eng?

?Waldo? Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:55 pm

Macwesty wrote: Andrew A. Libby wrote: It looks like it's wet at the pressure relief valve... and everywhere above it... Honestly, the easiest way to fix an air-cooled vanagon so it does not leak oil is to do an engine conversion.

Booooo! Cheap shot. Hope they like leaking oil AND coolant after the conversion. ;-)

It wasn't meant as a cheap shot. It was an objective voice of reason based on many hours of working on various VW engines. Non-leaking air-cooled engines are extremely rare. I literally spent considerably more hours of labor chasing oil leaks on my last air-cooled vanagon than I spent doing my last TDI conversion. I never got the air-cooled to not leak. The TDI has never leaked anything, ever.

nepawesty Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Andrew A. Libby wrote: It looks like it's wet at the pressure relief valve... and everywhere above it... Honestly, the easiest way to fix an air-cooled vanagon so it does not leak oil is to do an engine conversion.

Second that.

Wildthings Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:48 pm

The most likely leak in that area is a failing oil pressure switch. They are notorious for leaking. The switch is hidden down in a hole in the tin forward of the distributor. A lot of oil cooler seal, oil filter adapter gaskets, pulley seals, etc have been needlessly changed out due to a leaking oil pressure switch.