TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: B pillar measurements for correct location ?
esde Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:35 am

So, I've run into an issue while starting to fit all of the pieces that repair the cargo rocker and lower B and C pillars. As everything on this bus was completely rusted away, I'm starting from scratch with new panels but have no exact "known" location where they are supposed to fit. I've stared at hundreds of pics from the gallery and have most of it figured, but the channel that is pressed into the top of the cargo rocker (to hold the weather strip) has me second guessing myself. I can't very well hang the doors and fit it to the bottom, as the B and C pillars are MIA and everything flops around. It 'looks' like the top of that weatherstrip channel should be level with the top of the inner rocker, which is in turn level with the hat and I beam rails. Here's what I have clamped up last night. Still have plenty of wiggle room to get it where I need it

If anyone has a good measurement for this channel, from say the lowest hinge hole, or is it in fact dead level with the Inner rocker, it'd be a huge help. I struggled with my lower doglegs, for the same reason. Ended up cutting and moving stuff several times till I was somewhat satisfied, but a good measurement might've saved me some grinding wheels..
Any advice and measurements please. SD

Eric&Barb Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:58 am

Looks like 7.875". Kind of hard to measure due to all curved surfaces. Used a small square held at the hinge area on the door, and a tape measure.

Would be good to know you year of bus. Our 1960 has a drain hole in the outer B pillar sheet metal.

esde Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:02 am

This is a 65 that I'm working on, and using gerson pillars and floor, with Unstamped inner and outer rockers. So 7.875" is that from the lower edge of the punched hole? To the top of the weather strip channel?
It'd be great to compile a list of measurements like this for people to reference..

Eric&Barb Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 pm

From the lower edge of the hinge opening in the body to the lowest point of "B" pillar.