TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Door panels
Bob Hollingsworth Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:46 pm

I have a 65 beetle. The passenger door has a tab spot welded to the door inner panel and the masonite panel has a metal piece attached to the backside using the arm rest bolts. The metal piece slips over the tab. The driver's door had neither of these. I added them myself because it only made sense. Was I correct to add them or was there a reason why they were left off? Thanks.

grandpa pete Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:56 pm

there were NO armrests on the drivers side ; except for convertables .

eagle5127 Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Convertibles had driver side arm rests..

Bob Hollingsworth Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:19 pm

Thanks. This one had an arm rest when I bought it. Must have been added by a previous owner. I guess you had to close the door using the door handle?

KTPhil Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 pm

I added an arm rest to my '65 Bug. A little more comfortable on long drives, and I didn't feel like I was stressing the for lever every times I closed the door.

It was easier back in the day when you could pull parts off cars in a full junkyard.

Bob Hollingsworth Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:16 am

Thanks. I'm glad I added the hardware behind the panel.

djshutup Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:26 am

speaking on the subject of door panels.. can you get just the backer board behind the panels I know mine aren't doing that great.

grandpa pete Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:49 am

get some Masonite at HD
don't forget the vapor barrier when installing

glutamodo Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:37 am

Bob Hollingsworth wrote: Thanks. This one had an arm rest when I bought it. Must have been added by a previous owner. I guess you had to close the door using the door handle?

Yep. And sometimes that can be "fun" - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581960&