TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How can I make a 11 Window VW be a 23 Window Samba Bus? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Mattaxi Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:21 am

I would like to know if it is possible of making a vw bus 11 window and add windows on the corners and at the top, to make it a samba bus?

And if yes has anyone did this, can you post pictures of your results.
thank you

DadaCheese Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:41 am

Mattaxi,

Be warned: it's likely that you are about to get a lot of disturbing, possibly inflammatory, advice from some folks who feel you should NOT change split-window busses from how they were originally built.

Other Samba members will tell you; "it's your bus, do whatever you want with it."

Me, I lean towards; "don't change your bus," but I have no reason to fight about it or try and stop someone.

That said, there is a company in Huntington Beach, California that advertises here on this site. They sell what you need to do the work yourself (and provide instructions) and/or they will do the work for you if you could get the bus there from Malta.

Link:
http://vwsunroofs.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=1195

ChrisFred Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:11 pm

You can get a kit for it.

But why?

It will scream fake to VW enthusiasts and the public probably doesn't know the difference.

I personally believe it brings the value down on the bus. It makes it altered by usually somebody who lacks experience. If it is done right, like they did in the factory, then kudos! But don't even bother getting a kit. They look terrible.

dockmaster Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Post up some pics of your bus. That way the pros can tell you exactly what to do!

ateneo Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:33 pm

I share Dadacheese's opinion of "Do not change your bus". I would like to add the words "PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!" before that with a friendly smile :-)

VW bugs and buses will only be original once and stock never goes out of style.

SingleWheel Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Nope, you can't.

SkooobaSteve Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:51 pm

DadaCheese wrote: Mattaxi,

Be warned: it's likely that you are about to get a lot of disturbing, possibly inflammatory, advice from some folks who feel you should NOT change split-window

SingleWheel wrote: Nope, you can't.

:lol: :lol:

CaLiBus Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:00 pm

ChrisFred wrote: You can get a kit for it.

But why?

It will scream fake to VW enthusiasts and the public probably doesn't know the difference.

I personally believe it brings the value down on the bus. It makes it altered by usually somebody who lacks experience. If it is done right, like they did in the factory, then kudos! But don't even bother getting a kit. They look terrible.

"They look terrible".............. Whats wrong with the kits??? Please share with us.

Vintagespeed Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:33 pm

If you have a 11 window bus, and you would take that back to Original, but REALLY restore it like it came from the factory, you'd have a killer high value bus. Fitting a complete and correct interior will be a hassle on its own.

Building a 23 would take a HUGE amount of work to make it work, and it would still look fake. Beware you also need another rear hatch, you'd need belly pans, you'd need sooo many parts it's just not worth the effort.

flemcadiddlehopper Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Mattaxi wrote: I would like to know if it is possible of making a vw bus 11 window and add windows on the corners and at the top, to make it a samba bus?

And if yes has anyone did this, can you post pictures of your results.
thank you

Well, so far they are being very gentle on you. I thought for sure there was a sh*t storm brewing up.

Really tho, if you want a Samba, buy a Samba. But it is your Bus, do as you like.

Gordo.

cru62 Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:26 pm

I just looked it up and it is a capital crime in Malta to build a fake 23. Really. Would I lie to you? :wink:

Stocknazi Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:29 pm

ChrisFred wrote: You can get a kit for it.

But why?

I personally believe it brings the value down on the bus. It makes it altered by usually somebody who lacks experience. If it is done right, like they did in the factory, then kudos! But don't even bother getting a kit. They look terrible. Curious what you do not like about the kit?
I assume we are talking about the Grumpy's kit.

Z Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:43 pm

StockNazi wrote: ChrisFred wrote: You can get a kit for it.

But why?

I personally believe it brings the value down on the bus. It makes it altered by usually somebody who lacks experience. If it is done right, like they did in the factory, then kudos! But don't even bother getting a kit. They look terrible. Curious what you do not like about the kit?

I'm also curious, as I thought the parts supplied seemed very good. Installation quality would make a big difference, of course.

Were you (ChrisFred) possibly referring to aftermarket sunroof kits?

hitest Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:33 pm

Aren't there a limited number of running buses in Malta anyway? And don't they all need metal work?
Do what you want. Enjoy. Please film the sawing.

cdennisg Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:12 pm

Cut, weld, grind, enjoy.

CaLiBus Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:05 pm

StockNazi wrote: ChrisFred wrote: You can get a kit for it.

But why?

Maybe the word "terrible" was a scare tactic.
Grumpy's kit is actually tuff to beat! Best kit out there.

lumber-baron Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:03 am

I asked this same question about 4 years ago, I was contemplating converting my 15 to a 23. I received threats of bodily harm :lol: - well not quite but I did get kicked around pretty well, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=440612&highlight=
The best advice I received was this. If you want a 23, sell yours and buy a 23. What you'll spend on the conversion on top of the value of your current bus will get you close to what you'll spend for a genuine 23, not to mention your "hacked" bus will never be worth what a genuine 23 is worth. I took that advice and bought a 23 window project, finished up the 15 and sold it. It's your bus and your money - do what you want with it.

604peter Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi Lads,
Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. Haters, please don't hate. We all know where purists stand on this issue. But, for those VeeDubbers whose bus is no longer close to stock, and past the point of no return, you may be interested in a conversion to a 21 or 23 window beauty. If you are, the kit from Grumpy's/ VW Sunroofs may be of interest to you. I don't really know, so, I'm posting to find out if there's anyone out there whose used one of these kits. Don't be shy, let me know:
1. Did it work?
2. Did you get the expected results? What worked? What didn't?
3. Were the parts provided of a good quality?
4. Did you do your own install, or have VW Sunroofs do the work?
Really, its cut, weld, grind, finish it, paint and enjoy. Lots of folks will tell you what to do; in the end, its your bus... drive it safe and enjoy it. Spread the VW love, and enjoy owning a beautiful machine.

cru62 Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:02 pm

I will assume that by now you have found this thread-

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=539140&highlight=

Jehu works some magic here and does it himself. No professional help. Just OG parts and a welder. Pretty humbling.

604peter Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Great link. Thx for the info :)