TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone have this harness connector?
vw4life Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:37 pm

84 westy 1.9. Need the plug for the isle control module.
Can't seem to find a used one, new is obsolete.

Help!

the joker Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:33 pm

I believe that is part of the wiring harness

FWIW mines mess up like yours stills works

vw4life Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Yeah it's part of the main harness. I had a pm to sell the whole harness but somebody has to have cut the harness taking the module out.

The van has stalled a few times when this plug wiggles loose. Kinda scary to lose all power on the 405 and try to get over to the shoulder.

I thought about some silicon to hold it in but really want to find it and splice it in. I had a zip tie securing it but still moves and the van konked
Out

IdahoDoug Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:55 pm

I'd double check that the metal contacts are properly clamping together inside the plastic connector because if it's THAT sensitive then you may have a female end bent open. Then I'd fix it and be tempted to use rescue tape, or silicone glue to provide a firm mechanical mount and call it good if the connector is that unobtainable.

vw4life Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Good point Doug.

It would be nice to get the right part, cut and splice 3 wires and call it a day. Haven't messed with the pins yet hoping I would find the harness end

IdahoDoug Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Yeah, I hear you. Since you are seeking a connector, you are also probably not the type to jury rig things, but it may well be the way to go. OTOH, a well thought out jury rig can be weatherproof and last decades, ya know?

vw4life Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Doug

You inspired me to check out the pins. I took the female side and a jewelers screwdriver, pushed pin together to make the hole a tighter fit and seems ok!

Why I was intent on the plug and not an easy fix like this for so long, I suppose my brain thought replacement was the right step but the samba always has another way!

MarkWard Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:38 am

VW used that controller plug for quite a few years in the VW rabbits from 81 to 84 I believe. Some had the connector, 49 state, with no controller, others had the controller Ca. models? Might find one in the junk yard. Probably used on other CIS E models too.