TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Winter Storage - Removing Antenna for Car Cover
jjean Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:13 am

Hello,

I recently bought a Westy, but had to leave it at my aunt's driveway in Wisconsin until I can pick it up next spring. Since I had to park it outside, I bought a car cover for it. The cover didn't have a hole for the antenna though, so I removed the antenna. Will the hole, where the antenna was taken out, be an issue or should I get someone to cut a small opening in the car cover and put the antenna back on so water doesn't get in? I didn't think it'd be an issue, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help!

Here's the new ride :)

I'm currently working in Japan, but flew back to the states for my wedding. After a year of searching, I found the perfect van on Craigslist and was able to pick it up while I was back in the US. I flew into Colorado and drove it up to St Louis to surprise my Dad for his birthday and then back to Wisconsin. About 1,200 miles and 21 hours of driving. No issues except for fuel leaks once I filled the tank past 3/4. I ended up dropping the fuel tank and replacing the hoses which fixed the problem.

It was really cool driving it up. People seem to be much friendlier when you're driving a Westy. Unfortunately, I'm back in Japan now and driving a tiny car. Nothing compares to sitting up high in that van with the big view. Can't wait to get back so I can start working on it.

djkeev Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:12 am

The "factory" antenna in front of the driver (LHD) is one that retracts fully into itself.

My van has both, the original and a PO added a spring based Whip style on the RF.
Why? I really don't know....... but the Whip is coming off!

Dave

dobryan Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:46 am

If the car cover lets in water the antenna hole will let it into the interior and you don't want that. So it depends on the cover and how comfortable you feel about it.

Dave has a good point about the antenna retract. Have someone check the antenna that was taken off. It may be the fully retracting style and could be installed and retracted out of the way.

jjean Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:30 pm

I was able to retract the antenna halfway. I couldn't get it any further than that though...maybe I need to hit the gym? :shock:

I'll put the antenna back on. Thanks guys!

Terry Kay Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Lube the antenna mast with some oil or vaseline.
Run it up & down a few times , it may retract all the way.

jjean Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:38 pm

I'll give that a try. Thanks TK

Jake de Villiers Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:17 am

Van Cafe carries the right Hirschman antenna for our vans - the aftermarket ones neither fit well nor retract properly.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_158/antenna.html

You can see in the photos that the Hirschman has a housing for the sections while the cheapo does not.

Terry Kay Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:47 am

The stock Hirschmann antenna does allow the antenna to be retracted flat into the front cowel to eliminate this issue with the winter Van covering.

I also have the genuine Hirschmann antenna available at the same price as the VC.

driftertjs Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:52 pm

dumb question #1...

if you have a car cover on ... how is water going to get in the antennae hole ?

best wishes w/ new 2 u Westy !

Terry

Terry Kay Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:50 pm

He removed the antenna so it didn't poke a hole through the cover.