TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fusible link question
crvc Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:23 am

When I ordered a new wiring system for a '67 it recommended a fusible link but didn't include it. I found one at Napa. It's a heavy wire that goes from the battery + terminal to the voltage regulator with the 20 amp fuse. If the fuse pops the car is dead. No power, no idiot lights, nada. I would happen occasionally til I found a bare wire going to the dome light.

Recently the car had died but the fuse is intact. Twice I replaced it anyway and the car would run. Yesterday the car died but the fuse is intact. I replaced it anyway and it worked.

I wonder if there's something to treat the fuse to increase conductivity?

How bad would it be to remove the fuse and have an uninterrupted wire from the battery to the VR? I've owned a dozen bugs over the years and don't remember any of them having that fusible link.

TIA,

crvc

grandpa pete Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:55 am

Someone might not know this : If you have an intermitant problem with fuses blowing and can't locate the problem
West Marine sells self contained circuit breakers.....If your circuit shorts out and you want to get home ; push the reset button
Circuit breakers are great for auxiliary circuts AND for old guys making campers out of 66 bugs :twisted: